Simple aftermath

"So Wright, would you like to step inside?"

"Huh? Oh, oh yeah." It had occurred to Phoenix just how close Edgeworth was standing. If he had stepped any closer Phoenix would be able to feel his shaky breaths, the way his hands trembled every time someone spoke to him just made Phoenix want to hug him, and he would never let go.

When they stepped inside, all the conversations in the bar were audible to Phoenix all at once, despite this, it still felt so peaceful and calm. They quickly sat down and their drinks arrived, it didn't take long for them to get comfortable.

"Edgeworth..." He jumped in his seat looking up from where he was sitting, almost like he was snapping out of a daze. "Edgeworth, you've been so quiet. Are you alright? Do you need to go?" 

"No, its quite alright. I just don't feel like talking right now."

Maya quickly chimed in " Don't you mean Wright  now Mr Edgeworth?"

The alcohol had already kicked in, Phoenix couldn't stop himself from laughing. Clearly everyone else, maybe apart from Maya who just wanted to fit in, was a little drunk too. Edgeworth even shed a tear, what a surprise...

A few hours passed and Phoenix found himself talking to Edgeworth about their childhood.

"Oh how Larry used to get us in trouble all the time, before you joined the school, he managed to convince the teacher that I copied his homework!"

Edgeworth's face grinned " Now that is a feat! From Larry no less."

Phoenix could slowly feel himself succumbing to the effects of the alcohol. The words that came out his mouth didn't feel like he was saying them. His eyelids felt heavy and all Phoenix could think about was placing his head onto the table, just so it didn't feel like he was about to tip over.

"Hey Edgeworth... I really am sorry about your father you know. Don't blame yourself for what happened, you never meant it. Von Karma is a coward and thats why he killed your father, you had no part in his murder." 

As he was speaking, Phoenix slowly felt himself slipping away, everyone else's voices felt distant. He could barely make out Edgeworth's words.

"Woah Wright, I think you've had a bit too much to drink, would you like to go home?"

Shame, he was enjoying this night too, if only he hadn't ruined it by drinking himself silly. He could just about speak to make out the sentence " No... I-It's ok."

Edgeworth was adamant that Phoenix had really overdone it. He kept asking Phoenix where he lived so that he could take him home, prodding Phoenix and shaking him. Clearly Phoenix was in no shape to answer, as he slowly closed his eyes he could still hear Edgeworth's words.

"This won't do, I don't care what you say Wright. If you won't tell me where you live then I must simply take you to my own home. I have a guest room that you can use for the time being."

Now that he thought about it, Phoenix wondered why Edgeworth didn't just ask Maya for his address. Maybe the alcohol had taken a toll on him as well.

One of the last few things Phoenix remembered was being dragged towards Edgeworth's car, held up by both Edgeworth and Gumshoe. Gumshoe would have probably been able to carry Phoenix himself but he guessed Edgeworth thought it would be safer if he was upright.

The car ride home was peaceful, even in his drunken state Phoenix remembered hearing soft classical music and Edgeworth quietly humming to himself. The calmness of it all finally finished Phoenix off. After struggling to stay awake for so long, he closed his eyes and leaned into the window, Phoenix felt Edgeworth slowly lean his seat back to make it more like a bed. Then everything went black, and he fell asleep...