When morning comes

Phoenix slept lightly, waking up from any and every little noise, the excitement was just too much. The energy coursed through his body, he just wanted to jump up and yell out of the window. Suddenly, he heard his bedroom door creak open, Phoenix shut his eyes tight and pretended to fall asleep just to see how Miles would react. He heard Miles' footsteps edging closer, he felt Miles' arm brush against his. Whilst still frozen in place, Phoenix felt Miles gently place his hand onto his cheek, Phoenix could feel the heat rushing to his face.

"There's no use hiding it, I know you're awake."

Phoenix opened his eyes abruptly, staring right into Miles' face.

"How did you know?" He asked with a smile, there was no use in trying to hide just how happy he was.

"I always do..."

Phoenix thought for a second, always? What other times had he fallen asleep? Maybe that night he got drunk but then again he was asleep when he got drunk.

"What do you mean always?"

Miles turned a bright pink, Phoenix started laughing.

"Well- uhm... See- its because uhh. It's obvious! Your eyes flutter when you're pretending and also a tiny smile forms on your face!"

"Were you watching me that closely to see if there was a smile on my face?" Phoenix asked, with a huge grin. Miles went from pink to a deep red.

"That isn't what I meant!"

Phoenix got up and gestured for Miles to sit next to him, they both looked at each other for a while before blushing and turning away. He thought for a second, Phoenix had just come to grips with the fact that everything he thought had happened last night, did really happen.

"So I guess last night was serious..." Phoenix didn't mean for that to come out of his mouth, he quickly looked up at Miles who stared back with a huge look of panic on his face.

"W-what?" Miles trembled...

"No! No! I meant as in I can't believe it, I am really happy and all of this just feels like a dream. Not that I would want to wake up of course." Miles still looked shocked, his eyes now had a shimmer and his lip trembled.

"Sorry if it didn't come across that way..." Phoenix pecked Miles on the lips and gave him a hug to make sure he was ok.

"What should we do this morning?"

Miles and Phoenix ended up making breakfast together, making sure nothing was broken and that no one got hurt this time. They sat together and talked and laughed. The sun shone into the apartment and the food was perfect, everything was just the way it should be.

Then someone knocked at the door...

Phoenix felt the panic settle in, who could it be at the door? It was early for work so it wouldn't be Maya, and no one else really came by the apartment anyways.

Slowly, Phoenix trudged over to the door, he opened it and to his surprise, it was Maya!

"Maya!" Phoenix answered, trying to hide the panic in his voice, it was too early for anyone to find out that him and Edgeworth were together!

"Maya, what are you doing here haha..." He tried to play it off as cool but there was no use, Miles had already made his way to the door and Maya had already made eye contact.

"The real question is what is Mr Edgworth doing here, Nick?" 

Phoenix didn't know what to do, so he just tried to make up a plausible excuse.

"Well, me and Edgeworth were having breakfast together, we were just catching up on some cases." 

"What cases? We don't have any clients." Damn it! Maya was too insightful.

"One of his cases, we aren't involved."

Maya still hadn't answered Phoenix's question, what was she doing here at 9 in the morning, it was far too early to actually do anything. He asked her again.

"Oh! I brought you some food."

She handed him a basket filled to the brim with crisps, chocolates and other sweet foods, he studied the basket further. Wait a minute... These were things you bring on dates! Even the chocolate box was heart shaped! Miles softly chuckled next to him.

"It's for you and Mr Edgeworth! Though I bet, at this stage you probably call him Miles!" Maya started laughing hysterically.

Miles' eyes widened and he immediately leaned into Phoenix, he whispered in his ear.

"How did she find out?"

"I don't know! I didn't tell her anything!"

Maya walked into the apartment, confidence on her every step.

"I already know what you two are whispering about, how do I know? Well Nick I know everything! You said it was time to take action," Miles laughed and Phoenix turned around to look at him sternly. "And because you didn't answer my messages, even though you always do, s I knew something had happened and I just thought, Nick definitely asked Mr Edgeworth out."

Maya dramatically turned to Miles. "Mr Edgeworth, Nick is madly in love with you and I can tell that you like him back, so don't try to hide your relationship," Maya grinned with determination in her eyes. "I will make sure you guys are happy together!"

"Maya we talked about this!" Miles turned to look at Phoenix.

"You talked about me to Maya?"

Maya started to back out the doorway, still grinning.

"My work here is done..."

Phoenix ran after her.

"Maya I don't want a word out of you about any of this!"

Maya placed her basket down just before she left and looked Phoenix straight in the eye, he felt... nervous.

"I won't tell anyone until you're ready, but promise me Nick, you won't let him go."

Since when had Maya been so mature?

Just as quickly as she had arrived, Maya left. Skipping down the hallway like a schoolgirl.