Further out

Miles held Phoenix's hand and led him out into the deep waters, the waves lapped around Phoenix's face, it was cool and calm. Miles strongly swam ahead, it was clear he had always loved the water it seemed so natural for him to dive in. Phoenix wasn't as strong of a swimmer but he was good enough to catch up to Miles, breathing heavily he swam up right next to him.

"So, we've been swimming for a while, where did you want to go?" 

"Can you see that small group of rocks ahead?" Miles pointed and Phoenix had to squint, the sun shone right into his eyes. "I was planning on taking us there since it was nice and quiet."

Phoenix sighed, he legs were starting to ache from swimming so quickly to try and catch up to Miles. He just hoped the rocks weren't as far as they seemed to be.

"Come on Phoenix, I know you're tired but please just swim a bit further."

"Ok ok I'll do it, but just so you know, I'm only doing this because you want me to."

Miles laughed. "That's good enough for me!"

Finally, they reached the small group of rocks, it was covered in moss and seaweed. Phoenix nearly gagged when Miles told him that they should climb them. Phoenix hated the feeling of the slimy moss, it was too slippery to grip on to so he feared he would fall. Miles calmly climbed up to the top of the rock where it was nice and dry he sat down and called Phoenix over to him.

"Miles I don't want to break something when I fall over! I'm not a frog like you who can just grip onto the rocks like this!"

"Oh my goodness Phoenix stop being so dramatic, here if you want my help so much I'll pull you up."

The rocks were slippery enough for Phoenix to slide right across whilst Miles pulled him by his arm. Phoenix blushed from embarrassment, he felt like a penguin sliding down a sheet of ice.  

"Owww look at my stomach, it's all red now!"

"I told you to stop being so dramatic!"

Phoenix sat next to Miles who placed a hand onto his sore stomach. Phoenix shivered from stepping out of the water, he slowly placed his head onto Miles shoulder.

"Phoenix are you cold, I can hear your teeth chattering."

Phoenix clutched his arms, and leaned into Miles further, even though Miles was cold Phoenix could still feel the warmth emitting off of him. He was just warm enough to stop Phoenix from turning into an ice cube.

"Miles... Why did you want to bring me here? It's just a slimy rock."

Miles smiled towards him, his eyes were soft but somehow distant, it was as if he was looking not at Phoenix but at something inside him.

"I knew you'd say that..."

Miles placed a hand onto Phoenix's cheek, Phoenix continued shivering and his trembles increased from the shock of Miles touch.

"Look ahead of you... That's what I brought you here for."

Phoenix looked ahead. His eyes widened as a tear fell down his cheek, he didn't mean for that to happen. The horizon was so captivating, the reds and pinks blended together, the dark blue washed over the clouds to reflect the sea in front of them. It was so beautiful that Phoenix couldn't take his eyes off it.

"Wow..."

Phoenix sniffled, he didn't think a simple sunset could cause such deep emotions but he couldn't help it, the sunset reminded him of simpler days, running down the streets with his friends until the sun went down and he would go home.

Miles pulled Phoenix's face towards him.

"I knew you would like it, was the whining worth it?"

"Definitely." Phoenix grinned. He began to talk but was soon silenced by Miles kissing him on the lips. Miles' face was wet and cold and so was Phoenix's, it didn't matter though, all that mattered was that moment. Miles held Phoenix's cheek and whispered to him.

"I love being with you." Miles' eyes watered as he stared at Phoenix, his cheeks blushing pink.

"I love you too." Phoenix hugged Miles and placed his head onto his shoulder.

"Miles..." Phoenix looked up at Miles.

"I'm really getting cold now. Can we please go home now?"

Phoenix knew Miles couldn't resist his puppy dog eyes so he widened them as much as possible. Miles shoved Phoenix's face away.

"Way to ruin the mood Phoenix..." Miles paused. "But fine we can go back."

Phoenix and Miles slowly climbed down the rocks, for such an athletic person Miles took a tumble and fell into the water, Phoenix laughed and quickly checked to see of Miles was okay.

"It's okay Phoenix, I'm okay." Miles chuckled whilst clutching the back of his head, he was still coughing from swallowing the water.

Chatting all the way back Phoenix and Miles swam to shore, however, halfway through the journey Phoenix got tired and clutched onto Miles' back who ended up carrying him to shore.

Once they arrived Maya gave Phoenix a huge thumbs up whilst Gumshoe was busy preparing a small picnic. 

"Hey pals, come over here I've prepared a little meal for all of us. It's not much but it seems filling."

Miles nodded and then picked up his towel, Phoenix had already began shivering again and his nose had started to become runny. The two men sat next to each other whilst Gumshoe dished out a small cake and his signature noodles.

"Gumshoe..." Miles looked questioningly at the detective. "Is that cake from our bag?"

Gumshoe gave a panicked look and glanced to the side.

"Sorry Mr Edgeworth! I just wanted to make this picnic a little better, but I had no food apart from noodles to present."

Miles laughed and everyone sat down to eat, Phoenix was famished from swimming so much, even if he only swam halfway back from the rocks. Quickly, everyone devoured the food and the sun had finally disappeared. They packed away and changed back to their dry clothes. Phoenix was so glad to be back in his cozy shirt, he had finally gotten the warmth he needed. Everyone all huddled together and walked back to the car. 

In the car, one by one Miles drove Gumshoe and Maya back to where they were staying. Tonight both Miles and Phoenix decided to stay in Miles' apartment, it had been a while since Phoenix had been there.

"Miles..." Phoenix was worse for wear, he had dark circles under his eyes and his nose was runny.

"Yes Phoenix?" Miles turned to look at him, his eyes widened as he saw how tired Phoenix was.

"Miles I think I'm a bit sick..."

Miles drove home as quick as possible and made Phoenix a hot cup of tea. Phoenix got into bed as Miles laid down beside him.

"Miles you'll get sick don't lie next to me."

"Oh who cares..."

The two of them fell asleep together, holding each other in their sleep.

And that's how both idiots woke up with a terrible headache and a horrible cold the next morning...