The truth

"I would've won...Is that what you wanted to say?"

Phoenix blinked once, he blinked twice he blinked until his eyelids felt heavy. A man stood in front of him, grey hair wearing a smirk on his face. Signature red suit with a cravat covering his chest. 

"E-Edgeworth?"

Phoenix saw a flash of pain in Edgeworth's eyes, Phoenix hadn't called him Miles. Edgeworth paused for a second before muttering out a few words.

"It's been a while...Wright."

The shock had subsided and now all that was left was anger and confusion. Phoenix couldn't believe that it was all a lie. All that time grieving and mourning over the loss of someone he truly thought he had lost. It was all a sham.

Pearl stared in shock and turned to Phoenix, her hand covering her mouth.

"This is Mr Edgeworth?"

Edgeworth turned to begin talking to Franziska, they were invested in the conversation. Phoenix couldn't take it, this man, presumed dead had come back after a year and was now ignoring him!

"Hey! Look at me!"

Edgeworth hadn't turned around just yet, Phoenix could hear a few snippets of their conversation but was too angry to concentrate. All he heard from Franziska was her shouting at him.

"You foolish coward! You ran away from your responsibilities and went and soiled the Von Karma name!"

"I see you are still obsessed with your perfect record... Even though I recall you lost your last case."

"This case is mine little brother! And you Mr Phoenix Wright, I will see you in court tomorrow!"

Franziska stormed out of the police station with Gumshoe trailing behind her still begging for his position back. Edgeworth finally focused his attention back to Phoenix.

"Wright..."

Phoenix clenched his fists he couldn't snap, not here not now. Not while Pearl was stuck in the crossfire.

"Edgeworth! You- I thought you had gone and died!"

Pearl gasped, she had so much to find out about.

"I though that you had left me! I was broken by what you did and you just waltz in here like nothing's wrong!"

Edgeworth looked at Phoenix, a sad light in his eyes, he slowly leaned in and lowered his tone of voice.

"Ph- Wright... Please not now. There are too many people around, we'll do this some other time."

Phoenix widened his eyes, the blood was pumping through his veins, he practically was spitting his words out at this point, still he kept quiet and as calm as he could, for Pearl.

"Don't you dare tell me what I will do and what I won't. After what you did you don't get to act like my friend."

Edgeworth slightly shivered at the word friend, for a normal person it wouldn't be obvious, but Phoenix knew him, he knew how much it hurt for Edgeworth.

After standing in silence for a few minutes Phoenix finally muttered a sentence.

"Why are you back?"

"I have come back due to an involvement in one of my cases, we're looking for a skilled assassin, I was informed that he was here so I came to look for him. Also... Gumshoe told me."

"He did?"

" I know about Maya... Ph- I mean Wright. You can't go on tomorrow's trial alone. I have evidence that you lack. Please, let us work as a team to find the truth... Let me help you"

Phoenix mumbled to himself and then spent the next few seconds looking at Pearl.

"Fine," Phoenix leaned in closer to Edgeworth, "But we will talk about this later do you understand?"

Edgeworth knew it wasn't a question. He gripped his arm and clenched his shoulders.

"I understand Wright."

Phoenix decided that with the little time he had left before the trial he should try and get some information out of Edgeworth. He could hold off his anger if it meant finding Maya safe and sound.

Their conversation ended on quite a dark topic, Phoenix couldn't help but be reminded of Edgeworth's disappearance when they began to talk about the suicide of someone to do with the case. He was still getting used to this whole crazy situation frequently zoning in and out. 

"Uhm, Mr Edgeworth?"

Phoenix looked down at Pearl who had a scared and concerned look on her face, she was just trying to understand whatever was going on.

"Yes Ms...?"

"My name is Pearl."

Phoenix watched as Edgeworth anxiously knelt down to talk to her, he didn't seem like the type to be good around children.

"Are you and Mr Nick friends?"

Phoenix saw Edgeworth contemplating his words, what would make a kid stop asking questions?

"...Yes, we are friends. Right?"

Edgeworth looked up at Phoenix, waiting for his answer. Phoenix had to choose his words carefully.

"Yes..."

"Then why were you two arguing about disappearing and thinking that Mr Edgeworth was dead?"

Phoenix had completely forgotten Pearl could still hear them even whilst they were whispering, as he was thinking of an answer Edgeworth quickly interjected.

"Me and Wright just haven't seen each other in quite a long time, it must have felt like I was dead to him." Edgeworth smiled at Pearl while he finished off his sentence, maybe he was somewhat good around children after all.

"Ok Pearl, we have a big day to prepare for tomorrow don't we? Let's go back to the office so that we can get Maya back!"

Pearl seemed to get her joy back, her confidence was renewed and now she wasn't sulking. Pearl excitedly waved Edgeworth goodbye whilst Phoenix just stared back, he was met with a sad smile from Edgeworth. Phoenix vowed to himself that he would never forgive him.

Once back at the office, Pearl was still full of adrenaline so she rushed around the house dusting and cleaning every spot, she made tea whilst Phoenix sat at his desk reading through his notes over and over again. He decided it was best to not overwork himself so that he was in the right state of mind to go through with the trial. 

Edgeworth was a matter he could deal with later, Maya was a priority. 

Truthfully, Phoenix was glad that Edgeworth wasn't really dead, but he also hated all the lies that were spun around his disappearance. Phoenix had only barely managed to get by and it pained him to think that his suffering was all a waste. 

He put all those thoughts aside and prepared himself for tomorrow.