Exhausted

This new case had taken up all of Phoenix's energy. Everyday when he woke up, his hands would tremble, his breath would shake and quicken. Each new morning was a nightmare and he had no one to help him through it. Still, he felt even worse for Pearl. Her happy, bubbly personality had completely disappeared, without Maya she was just empty.

Speaking of Maya, Phoenix didn't know what to do about her. Every chance he got he would look through the evidence searching every detail and thinking of every theory. Phoenix kept the transceiver given to him close at all times just to hear something, anything about how Maya was doing. He should have stopped her from going with that man. It was his fault that she got kidnapped. Pearl was grieving and panicking over the fact that Maya wasn't here and Phoenix knew it was his fault.

He had to keep it together though, for Pearl, she needed someone who still acted normal enough even in these crazy times. She was just a child, she shouldn't have to experience a world like this. 

"Pearl?"

Pearl appeared from behind the door, a wide smile on her face but Phoenix could see in her eyes that she was just trying her best to be happy. She was keeping up this mask for Phoenix, not for herself, his heart wrenched at the thought of it.

"Yes Mr Nick?"

"Do you think you have enough energy to continue investigating, the trial is tomorrow and we need evidence so we can keep Maya safe."

Upon hearing Maya's name, a new determination appeared in Pearl's eyes. She rolled up her sleeves and stood in a confident pose.

"We will definitely get Maya back! I trust you Mr Nick!"

Phoenix let out a small chuckle, whatever Pearl was trying to do, it was working. Any small amount of joy was appreciated. With his new mood he stepped out the door with Pearl excitedly ahead of him.

They first arrived at the victims hotel room, which also happened to be the murder site. Juan Corrida... The only reason that Phoenix had found himself at this hotel in the first place is because an old client of his had invited him. Maya loved the Steel Samurai and had grabbed the invitation out of Phoenix's hand when she first heard that they were being invited to an award show to do with one of her favourite programs. Pearl had never heard of it given how she lived a sheltered life back in Kurain Village but she was so happy to be spending time with Maya.

We will get you back Maya, stay strong wherever you are...

Pearl and Phoenix had a nice conversation in the hotel room. He was finally learning more and more about her. He also found out that he shouldn't make her too angry after experiencing another round of her special punches. They hurt as much as Ms von Karma's whip!

By the middle of the day, Phoenix had collected a substantial amount of task to complete. He had a huge amount of lies and secrets to uncover after seeing the amount of psyche locks unfold before his eyes. For now it was best to go back to the detention centre and talk to his client once more.

"Mr Matt Engarde?"

"Just call me Mr Engarde it's fine."

His client was shifty and fiddly. Most people described him as refreshing as a spring breeze however to Phoenix there was something off. He couldn't describe it. The person that had kidnapped Maya, he still didn't know who it was, had asked for Matt Engarde to be declared not guilty, he found it incredibly suspicious.  

"Mr Engarde I just have a few questions... "

During his questioning Phoenix watched as the manner of the man in front of him changed rapidly. He went back and forth between trying to act cool and collected as well as fidgeting and sweat forming on his forehead. Phoenix remained conflicted, when he had asked Mr Engarde if he had killed Mr Corrida he had answered no, and no psyche locks had appeared to prove otherwise. What was he hiding? 

He tried to change the conversation by being 'interrupted' by someone calling him on his fancy watch. It took ages for Phoenix to finally get his concentration back. Once he had gotten Mr Engarde back on track, Phoenix found it best to ask about something else. 

The rest of his questioning didn't go anywhere, Phoenix had to do something. He didn't have much time left so he needed something to carry on the trial, even if the deal was to finish the trial in one day maybe Phoenix could figure out a plan. He had to save Maya, for him, for Pearl, for everyone. 

"Mr Nick..."

Phoenix looked down just as they were about to leave the detention centre, maybe Pearl had a plan.

"Maybe we should go and see Mr Detective again? What if he has something?"

Gumshoe! Of course! Where was he again? The criminal affairs department?

"Good job Pearl! That's the perfect idea!"

A smile flashed across Pearl's face, this time it wasn't for show though, Phoenix could see that she was genuinely happy.

Phoenix gathered his notes and rushed to the police station with Pearl blazing ahead of him. They reached the doors and ran upstairs. Pearl spotted Gumshoe immediately through the entrance and called out to him screaming Mr Detective! Mr Detective!

Gumshoe walked over, his face red with embarrassment.

"Detective!" Phoenix was wheezing between words, he had run after Pearl who had ran ahead of him so quickly that he had a hard time catching up.

"Yes Mr Wright?"

Phoenix quickly began flicking through his notes rapidly forcing Gumshoe to read every detail and then tell him everything he could.

"Sorry pal but we have airtight evidence, you might as well drop this client."

You're kidding... Out of all the cases where airtight evidence was possible it had to be this one!

Gumshoe showed a photo to Phoenix of the crime scene, the knife stuck in Juan Corrida's chest had Engarde's fingerprints all over it. This was going to be difficult.

"Gumshoe please tell me that you have something else that helps me out..."

Gumshoe thought for a second and sympathetically replied, "I mean, Oldbag is the witness on the stand tomorrow."

Phoenix audibly heard Pearl facepalm next to him. He had to try, maybe Oldbag was his best shot. Suddenly, Phoenix heard familiar footsteps clicking in the room. It didn't take a genius to figure out who it was.

"Mr Phoenix Wright."

"M-Ms von Karma?"

Franziska quickly turned towards Gumshoe who was pulling at his collar already.

"You can't seem to stop yourself from allying with the enemy, can you? I don't need a traitor like you in my midst."

Gumshoe had a huge panic in his eyes.

"Ms von Karma you don't mean-"

"Yes scruffy you are no longer needed."

Pearl and Gumshoe both began looking at each other, Pearl had clenched her fists whilst Gumshoe was heavily puffing up his chest. He tried to plead with Franziska but to no avail, she just kept telling him to pack his stuff and that he was off the case.

"Ms von Karma I need the money without it i'll star-"

"Quiet! If it weren't for traitor like you..."

A familiar voice spoke out.

"I would've won... Is that what you wanted to say?"

It couldn't be.

A/N

I just edited this chapter a bit because I had to fix a major plot hole that's why it is different. Sorry 😢