Chapter - 28

Note: Before you proceed into the story let me remind you that Kanmani is now 25 years old which means she was 17 when Veera and his mother left the village. She was young  and still in school at that time.

****************

Recap: Veera and his mother arrive at village and later Veera, Kanmani leave for Chennai on receiving call from Ishwar.

******************

Veera was driving and Kanmani was watching out of the window without speaking a word to him. Veera tried to make to conversation but Kanmani responded with a word or two. He stopped the car off the road and moved his seat back turning to face her completely. Holding her forearm he jerked her to look at him and held her chin.

Veera: Kanmani, look at me and tell me the reason for whatever you and mother are doing in the name of condition. I m really going mad now and its becoming too much too handle.

Kanmani: I don't have any reason Veera. Now please start the car and we need to reach Chennai as soon as possible.

Veera: Enna patha paithiyakaran madhiri theriyudha ? ( Do I like some insane man to you ?)

Kanmani: Veera..

Veera took her palm and placed it on his head and looked into her eyes.

Veera: Tell me now that you don't have any reason.

Kanmani yanked her hand away from his hold and glared at him. Veera hit on the steering gritting his teeth.

Veera: Don't you love me Kanmani ? Don't you want us to get married ?

Kanmani: I love you and ofcourse I want us to be married. I know you are stuck between me and your mother and I m sorry that I m unable to fix this. I agreed to return to Chennai forever after a year Veera, what else you want me to do ? Actually you should be asking your mother if she wanted us to be married.

Veera: You blame her and she does you but you both actually don't seem to care about me. Here I m being tortured between you two and I don't know what should I do. Please just lie to her that you agree and lets handle everything later after our marriage.

Kanmani did not reply and Veera sighed defeatedly and shook his head.

Veera: This shows how much you both trust me and love me. Fine do whatever you both are intended to do but be sure all these fights will be worthless and you both will regret if I kill myself and join my father. I m sure you both will be in peace.

A slap landed on his cheek and he saw tears rolling from Kanmani's eyes. He regretted saying those words even when he knew how much they had suffered with the death of his father. He tried to apologize but stopped when he saw her staring at him. Kanmani turned her face away from him and closed her eyes leaning on the head rest. Veera saw the tears rolling from the corner of her eyes and tried to wipe it but Kanmani covered her face with her pallu.

Veera: I m sorry. Please try to understand. I didn't meant to hurt you. I just blurted out in the heat of the argument.

Kanmani sobbed thinking of the day that changed all their lives forever and is still haunting their lives.

Flashback:

Kanmani, Arul and Veera were so happy in their life with Ranga, Veera's father Manickam and Mathi. Ranga was a farmer but more than that he was the master to train the students in and around the village with martial arts. 

Manickam was a man who always stood for justice which was Mathi's concern and she hated everytime Manickam got into problem for interfering in other's business. Singaram was the man whom Manickam despised since he was involved in money laundering and people were unware of his evil intentions. He took away people's lands in exchange for the interest.