Chapter 2 - Meeting up

The next day...

As I stepped into the gym, my eyes darted around the room, taking in the familiar scene: the bodybuilding boys, clad in nothing but their posing trunks and gleaming with sweat, hefting weights that would make even the strongest of women tremble. The air was thick with the scent of sweat, chalk, and testosterone, but I ignored it all, my focus locked on the one thing that truly mattered: my own progress. Today, I was determined to push myself harder than ever before.

I walked past them in my workout clothes and made my way over to the squat rack, where Lewis, Demi and a group of her mates were already warming up. They nodded in acknowledgement as I approached, their eyes flicking briefly over me before returning to their own exercises. The camaraderie between us felt almost tangible, and it was invigorating.

"You haven't forgotten about that coffee today have you?" Demi asked with a grin, nodding towards the coffee shop across the street, which we could see through the big window.

"Of course not, I've got my towel, shampoo and stuff. I don't wanna go in there smelling of sweat." I replied, adjusting the bag slung over my shoulder. I paused for a moment, taking in the weight of the bag. It was heavier than I remembered, but I didn't mind. It was a good reminder of how far I'd come and how much strength I had gained.

"Right, let's get back to work! Remember the techniques you learnt from yesterday." She added, nudging me gently as we began to stretch and warm up. The familiarity between us was now so natural that it almost felt like we'd been working out together for years, not a day. As I stretched, my muscles protested slightly from yesterday's grueling workout, but it was a good kind of pain. I welcomed it, as it meant I was getting stronger.

The rest of the group joined us, and the air was filled with the sounds of heavy breathing and grunts as everyone began their exercises. Despite the bodybuilding boys' mockery, I found solace in the fact that I was here, working hard and improving myself. They may have been bigger and stronger, but they lacked the compassion that Demi, Lewis, and the others had shown me.

I pushed myself harder than ever, feeling the burn in my muscles as I went from one exercise to the next. The weight on the bar seemed to grow lighter with each repetition, and I took pride in the fact that I was able to lift it now with such ease. I caught a glimpse of Demi out of the corner of my eye, and she gave me a nod of approval. It was a small gesture, but it meant the world to me.

As the gym began to empty out, the bodybuilding boys still chuckling at my expense, I found myself thinking about the conversation I'd overheard between Demi and Lewis yesterday. It made me realize how much more there was to bodybuilding than just looking good onstage. There was a community, a support system, and a sense of belonging. And even though I was new to all of this, they had welcomed me with open arms.

Lewis had opened up to Demi about being self conscious of his weight, and how he had always struggled with his body image. He had talked about how the support of his friends and the community had helped him find confidence, and Demi had shared similar experiences. It was clear that their friendship ran deep, and it was inspiring to see. They weren't just workout partners, they were friends.

As I finished my last set of bicep curls, I felt a renewed sense of purpose. The weight on my shoulders, both literal and metaphorical, seemed to lift ever so slightly. I glanced over at Demi and Lewis, who were now deep in conversation, and felt a pang of jealousy. They seemed awfully close and flirty with each other.

"You okay?" Demi asked, noticing my gaze.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just thinking." I smiled, making my way over to them.

Demi raised an eyebrow, but didn't press further. "Well, you've worked really hard today. I'm proud of you. You should be proud of yourself, too."

I nodded, feeling a warmth spread through my chest. "Thanks, Demi. I really appreciate it." I glanced over at Lewis, unsure of what to say. "I just wish I had someone like you and Lewis when I was growing up. Someone who understood what it was like to feel different, you know?"