Chapter 24 - Light at the end of the tunnel.

My eyes fluttered open in the middle of the night to a smell that was both pungent and strong. The odor was so strong it seemed to invade every party of my being, making it impossible to ignore. I glanced around my dark bedroom, confused and disoriented, trying to figure out where the smell could be coming from. As I lay there, trying to process the unfamiliar scent, I heard coughing drifting through the air. It sounded like Demi, but I couldn't quite place it.

I sat up in bed, fumbling for the lamp switch, and was met with a faint glow emanating from under my bedroom door. Something told me I needed to investigate further. Tentatively, I placed my hand on the doorknob and slowly turned it, easing the door open just enough to peer out into the hallway. The light was on and the apartment door was open, the smell becoming stronger as I stepped out into the hallway. The source of the coughing became clearer; Demi was outside on the balcony, leaning over the railing, wearing headphones and smoking... was that weed?

She was lightly tapping her foot, in time with her music, her head bobbing slightly with each beat. The weed seemed to be having an effect on her, making her movements a little more loose and carefree. As I watched, she took a deep drag from the joint and exhaled slowly, the smoke curling up into the night sky like a ghostly tendril.

I hesitated for a moment, unsure of what to do. Part of me wanted to confront her, to tell her that she shouldn't be smoking weed, especially in the middle of the night. But another part of me was afraid that she would get angry or defensive, maybe this was a coping mechanism for everything that she was going through. I wanted to talk to her, but I didn't know how. So instead, I stayed by the door, leaning against the frame with my arms crossed.

I watched her for a few more moments, the haze of smoke from her joint slowly dissipating into the air. She seemed lost in her own world, oblivious to my presence just a few feet away. I couldn't help but feel a pang of sadness for her. She had always been so strong, so independent, but now she was struggling. It made me wonder what else she was going through, what demons she was fighting.

Slowly, Demi's face dropped, her head lowering as she took another drag from the joint. The smoke wreathed around her, obscuring her features in a hazy veil. As she exhaled, her shoulders slumped forward, and she let out a quiet sob. The sound was so raw, so full of pain, that it took me by surprise. In that moment, I knew I couldn't leave her out there by herself. She covered her face with her hand, trying to hide her tears, but I could see them glistening in the moonlight.

She turned around and spotted me, rapidly turning back around, wiping her tears, "Uhh, hey Kayla."

I took a deep breath, trying to find the right words to say. I didn't want to sound judgmental or like I was prying, but I also wanted to let her know that I was there for her. I slowly walked over to the railing and leaned against it, next to her.

"Hey, Demi... I... I didn't mean to interrupt anything. I just... heard you coughing and... wanted to check on you. I didn't know you smoked... weed, I mean... I'm sorry if I'm making this weird or... anything. I just wanted to say... I'm here for you, okay? You can talk to me if you want. About anything. You don't have to do this alone." I tried to keep my tone gentle and understanding, hoping it would put her at ease.

Demi looked at me with red-rimmed eyes, her expression a mixture of gratitude and surprise. She let out a shaky breath and moved her head slightly in a small nod. "Thanks, Kayla. It's just... been.... rough, you know? And... it helps, I guess. But I'm sorry if I'm being selfish. I shouldn't be doing this around you."

I smiled reassuringly and gave her shoulder a comforting squeeze. "Hey, it's okay. We all need an escape sometimes. And I'm not going anywhere, you know that. So, if you ever want to talk... or just... be quiet together... I'm here for you." I paused, searching for the right words to say next. "You've been through a lot, Demi. And you're stronger than you give yourself credit for. We all make mistakes, and we all go through tough times. But you're not alone. You never have to be alone."