Chapter 12 - Covid.

March 2020...

Some time had passed, I was still living with Demi in her apartment. But picture this, something horrific on TV. We turned it on, expecting just to be normal news. Nope, Covid was officially in Australia and had already taken a few lives, the government had decided that lockdown was the only way to stop it, so they went into a full lockdown. Schools, malls, shops, you name it, everything was closed. We were both scared, but Demi was more worried about her parents. They lived in the other side of town, and she hadn't seen them in a while.

She called them up, and they told her not to worry, they'd be fine, but she knew they were lying. The next few days were rough, Demi barely left her bedroom, she barely ate, barely spoke. I tried to keep her spirits up, but it was hard. We were only allowed to leave the house for essential reasons, and I had none. The days felt like they were dragging on forever, and the news was always the same, more cases, more deaths. It was like we were trapped in a nightmare, and we couldn't wake up.

I sat beside Demi on her bed as she laid down, sighing, "Well, at least you've got a roommate, you're not fully alone."

She nodded, but didn't say anything. I knew she was hurting, and I wished I could do more to help. The TV in the background was reporting on the number of cases and deaths, and it seemed to be getting worse every day. It was hard to believe that things could get any worse, but somehow they did.

Demi looked me deep in the eyes, "Can I have a hug please?"

I nodded and wrapped my arms around her, burying my face into her hair. She felt so small and fragile against me, like a delicate flower that could break with a single touch. I wanted nothing more than to take this pain away from her, to make everything better. But I couldn't. All I could do was be here for her, hold her when she cried, and try to keep some semblance of hope alive.

The days passed, and somehow we managed to find little things to do to keep ourselves sane. We watched movies, played board games, and even worked out. There were plenty of workouts to do on YouTube, this virus was not going to stop me and Demi from getting fitter, I thought to myself. We would go on walks around the block, keeping our distance from others, and just enjoy the fresh air. It helped to keep our minds off of things, if only for a little while.

But it was hard not to think about the world outside, about the people we loved who were isolated from us, all the people that lost their loved ones and those who hoped their family recovered. Demi's parents were the ones I thought about the most. I knew how much they meant to her, and I hated that they couldn't be there for her during this time. Sometimes, I would just sit with her on the balcony, looking out at the empty streets, and we would talk about what life would be like after all this was over. We dreamed of the day when we could go back to normal, when we could hug our loved ones again, and never take them for granted.

I texted and called my family a lot. We would often all gather on a zoom call, Demi's parents and sister also joined so we could all have a big chat together. Calling family and working out was helping Demi, she was starting to see more clearly, her mood was getting better, and she was beginning to see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Speaking of Zoom calls, my therapy sessions took place on there. Demi sitting beside me, taking in the words the therapist said. It also seemed to be helping her.

The days went by, and we started to hear news of a vaccine, it was promising, they were saying it could be out by the end of the year. It gave us hope, something to look forward to, something to fight for. We would sit together, watching the news, discussing the latest updates, planning our lives after the lockdown.

June 2020...

One day, Demi's parents called her, they were finally allowed to leave their house for essential reasons. They, along with my parents were ready to meet up with us, they had missed us so much. I could hear the excitement in Demi's voice as she spoke to her parents, it made my heart swell with happiness. They had been planning a surprise for her, a small celebration in their backyard, all of us. It was going to be the first time they had seen each other in months, and I knew it was going to be special.

Demi and I made sure to take proper precautions, washing our hands and wearing masks before making our way to Demi's parents, my parents and brother also assured us they washed their hands too.

When we arrived, there were balloons and streamers everywhere, it looked like a mini-party. Demi's parents gave her a huge hug, tears streaming down their faces. It was a sight that brought tears to my own eyes. Her sister gave her a big hug too, and they all stood there for a moment, just taking in the moment. It was beautiful.

A few minutes later, my family arrived and I gave them all the hugs I had been missing too. It was amazing to see everyone together, even if it was at a distance. We sat around the backyard, maintaining our distance, but still feeling close. We talked about the past few months, about how we had all changed, and about what we were looking forward to. There were a lot of laughs and a few tears, but overall it was a celebration of life and the strength we had found in each other during this difficult time. My family also noticed how much healthier I was looking, I was finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, even in rough times. But despite that, it made me realise how grateful I was for the little things in life.

As the sun began to set, Demi's parents brought out a huge spread of food, everything from barbecues to salads and desserts. We all dug in, enjoying the simple pleasure of sharing a meal together. Even though we were apart, it felt like we were all back to being a family again.

This was the first time my family and Demi's had all come together. While the virus was tragic, it made everyone appreciate the little things in life more. We spent the rest of the evening talking and laughing, sharing stories about our favourite memories. There was an undeniable sense of unity among us all, like we were all in this together.

We called it a day and headed home after a few hours, the car ride back was silent, but in an odd way, it felt comforting, we had said all that needed to be talked about and now was the time for us to chill out all night. We had spent so much time together, talking and laughing that the quiet was almost a relief. Demi and I were both exhausted, but in the best way possible. As I drove, I glanced over at her, watching her close her eyes, leaning her head against the window. In that moment, she looked so peaceful, so content. It made me realise that even though this pandemic had brought so much pain and suffering, it had also brought out the best in people.

The butterflies came back in my stomach, was I starting to like her more than just a friend again? I brushed the thought aside for now, focusing on the moment. As we pulled into my driveway, I glanced at her one more time before turning off the engine. She opened her eyes, looking at me with a small smile. "Today was so good," she said softly. "It meant so much to me." Her eyes were shining, her voice filled with emotion.

"It meant a lot to me too," I admitted, returning her smile. "I think we all needed that." We got out of the car and walked side by side up to the front door. It was strange, the way things had changed between us. Before, we would never have been this close, this comfortable with each other. But now, it felt right. Like we belonged together.

In bed, I couldn't stop thinking of Demi, her smile, the way she looked at me like I was the most important person in the world. It was a feeling I hadn't experienced in a few months. I couldn't help but wonder if it was just because of everything we had been through together, or if there was something more. I had only just properly gotten over that crush, but now it was like it had never gone away, it just took a backseat for a while as more important things distracted me.

I wanted to talk to her about it, to see what she thought, but I didn't want to ruin the day by bringing up something that might make her uncomfortable. It was tempting, really tempting...