Part 5. Clean Up

. . . ⇢ ˗ˏˋ clean up ࿐ྂ

Hyunjin slowly pulled into the parking lot of my apartment complex, both of us quiet and panting. I wasn't even the one driving, but when you spend fifteen minutes trying to escape from some psycho guy chasing you with his fast car, it's gonna shake you up a bit. But we were safe now, and that's what mattered. Swerving, speeding, running red lights, we were doing anything we could to outrace this guy. Neither of us still had any idea who he was or what the hell he wanted, we just needed to get away.

After what felt like forever, a large semi truck was able to block him off and we sped away in a different direction to lose him.

"Felix." He called out, making me snap out of my daze that was recalling everything that had just happened. I looked at him as he continued to look ahead at the dark buildings. His expression was unreadable, like he had little to no emotion.

"Let me stay with you tonight." He bluntly stated, I clearly didn't have a choice.

"Wha-"

"I don't want you to be alone. Not after what just happened." He replied, his stern tone remaining the same.

"But we're okay now. I'll be alright." I protested. I can defend myself and didn't want to worry about someone seeing the wreck of a mess my living space was.

"That guy was clearly after you, Felix. Who's to say he won't try to show up again? Or even one of his friends. I don't feel easy or comfortable allowing you to be vulnerable."

"Hyunjin, I'll be okay. I can defend myself. My apartment is also.. well it's uh.." I couldn't find a way to say "messy" without getting absolutely humiliated. I didn't want him, or anyone for that matter, to see my usually clean space in the state it's in.

"I really don't care about what your apartment looks like, Felix. I will not let you be defenseless in your own home. I'm staying over." He closed his argument and turned the car off fully.
I opened my mouth to say something but nothing came out. I was baffled. Usually, I was argumentative. It took a lot to make me back down to someone else's claim. But this was instant. I couldn't tell if it was because I truly didn't have a valid argument against his... or if I just wanted him to stay.

"Who are you, Hyunjin?" I asked impulsively, realizing how odd it may have sounded. He let out a breathy chuckle, puzzling me.

"I've told you my name, Sunshine."

"Yes, but I don't know anything about you and you've become someone I oddly care about." I replied, being a little more honest than I wanted to and he smirked lightly.
"I certainly hope you'd care about me after I just saved our asses." He joked and I reciprocated. However, I couldn't help but feel that he was avoiding my question. Perhaps he just wasn't an open person, and I had to respect that. So I didn't ask further.

Maybe I should've.

"Well, could you just wait out here for a sec? I would prefer you not be able to tell that I'm going through train wreck right now when you walk in." I asked.

I mean, it was the truth. No one had come over since Jisung did that night and it shows. I was embarrassed to let anyone see. But it seemed like Hyunjin was simply enlightened by my request, only chortling in response.