Part 7. Detective

. . . ⇢ ˗ˏˋ detective࿐ྂ

After a long, but energizing first day back at work, I was ready to go home and go straight to sleep. Maybe I should've gradually came back instead of immediately working for 8 hours.

Taking off and hanging up my named apron, Dani gave me a hug with a large smile.
"Welcome back, Lixie. Take care of yourself, yeah?"

I beamed softly in response, "You too, Dani. I'll see you later."

I made my way out of the store and turned the sign on the door to "closed", knowing Danielle would be out any minute. The minute I exited the building, I felt somewhat proud. Even though I still had a long road ahead of myself, I was content with the mere fact that I went out on my own, for my own well being. It wasn't like when I had gone to bars to drink away my feelings, this was for me- to help myself and become productive again.

I hope Jisung's proud of me.

. . . ⇢ ˗ˏˋ detective࿐ྂ

Upon approaching my apartment, I noticed an unfamiliar car parked outside my complex. I'd been living here a while, so I had grown to memorize and recognize all the cats that were commonly here. But this one, this one I had never seen before. It was a shiny and a bright fiery red Camaro- definitely not a car you'd usually spot at a middle class apartment complex. Perhaps a visitor for someone's vacation or something.

I inserted the keys into my lock and twisted them, panic rising in my bones when I realized it was unlocked.
Surely, I locked it before I left, right? Maybe I forgot.

Carefully, my hand twisted the doorknob and opened into the interior slowly- an aroma of cigarettes and soot flew to my nose, making me scrunch my face in disgust. I stepped inside and closed my door, instantly spotting two men standing in my kitchen, dressed in rather fancy suits- one beige and one an average black.

I jumped slightly at first glance, startled at the strangers in my home. Both of their gazes turned towards me when I locked the door.

"You must be Felix Lee, correct?" The man in a beige suit and brown fedora asked and I felt my heart begin to race in anticipation.

"May I ask who you are and why you're in my home?" My defense mode was on in an instant. These men didn't look dangerous, but at this point, I didn't what was evil and what wasn't.

He reached into his blazer pocket and pulled out a wallet and a badge. "Detective Hong, sir. And this is my partner, Detective Kim. If it makes you more comfortable, you may call us Joshua and Mingyu."

"Pleasure to meet you, Mr. Lee." Detective Kim spoke and held out his hand with a welcoming smile.
Hesitantly, I shook his hand and nodded.

"Likewise. My second question remains unanswered- what are doing in my apartment?" I coldly replied, though I knew deep down exactly what this really was.

"Detective Hong and I have been the hired and selected detectives for the case of Han Jisung. We've been doing interview after interview and haven't been able to come to anything. So, now it's time we get to you." Detective Kim explained and I just nodded meekly. This meant I had to talk about my best friend's murder.

"Come take a seat, Mr. Lee." Detective Hong said and I obliged easily.
My heart was racing and my head was muffling all sounds around myself. I'd been so angry whenever thinking about the situation-hence, how my apartment previously looked- and now I might have to be faced with that exact problem again.