Chapter 46

Chapter 46

~Zion~

       The door to the school's music room bursts open, and Miguel suddenly says, "A thief!"

       "I swear, I didn't steal your lunch this time," I say. "It wasn't appetizing to me today. A simple ham and cheese sandwich? Blegh."

       "A ham and cheese sandwich slaps," Miguel says as he walks into the music room, followed by Divya and Marjani. "But I'm not talking about a missing lunch this time. I'm talking about this." Miguel hands his cell phone to me, opened on Carrie's newest music video.

       I push Miguel's hand away. "No, thanks."

       "Just watch it," Miguel says.

        I sigh and look at the video. Dane does too since he's sitting beside me. Soon enough, I understand exactly why Miguel wants me to watch the video and why the first thing he said when he walked into the room was a thief.

       Because Carrie's band in her new music video is my entire band. My drummer, my bassist, lead guitarist, rhythm guitarist, keyboardist. Every single one.

       "Thief!" I say.

       "This definitely puts a damper on things," Dane says. "Well, at least you don't have any upcoming performances so we don't have to rush to find you a new band."

       "I know, but it's still annoying that she keeps poaching my band," I say. "This time, we really need to focus on finding people who won't easily leave for Carrie." I sigh. "I guess people just really want to play for someone more famous."

        Dane takes out his phone. "I can message Major Vocal's manager and see if they have any connections since we know they don't like Carrie at all."

       "You're so cool," I say.

       Dane looks at me with furrowed eyebrows. "Uh... Thank you? I don't know where that's coming from."

       "Because you have Major Vocal's manager's number."

        "Of course. It's good to have connections in the music industry. Alistair especially wanted my number just in case Major Vocal want you as an opener again."

       Like I said, Dane is so cool.

       "I used to take drumming lessons a few years back," Marjani says. "I just don't have any drums at home to practice, but I'm sure I can quickly learn again to play for you."

       "I don't know," I say. "You seem like someone who would ditch me for Carrie."

       "Oh, ha ha," Marjani says.

       "But seriously, that would be great," I say. "You know, if you really want to and don't feel obligated."

       "No, it will be fun," Marjani says. "I've been wanting to get back into drumming, anyway. It's just difficult without a drum set."

       "I can help you get familiar with the drums for all of Zion's songs," Dane offers. "And I'm sure that Zion will be more than happy to let us go to his house to use his drums."

       I nod. "Of course." It will definitely be great having one of my friends be in my band because I know for a fact she won't end up ditching me for Carrie. 

       I know we can always using a backing track for my performances so I won't have to worry about Carrie constantly poaching my band, but I like performing with a live band a lot more.

       Dane does send a text to Alistair to see if he or anyone in Major Vocal knows of anyone who would be willing to be in my band. We do have to wait for a reply, which I don't mind. I don't even expect to get an immediate answer since he's probably busy with manager stuff.

       "I'll see if Dolores and Donny know any musicians as well," Dane says.

       "Maybe you can poach some of Carrie's band," Divya says. "I mean, she's constantly changing band members to steal Zion's band. What if she's replacing some band members for Zion's without warning or anything?"

       "Ooh, then they might want to join Zion out of spite," Miguel says.

       "Now that you mention it, she did replace her lead guitarist who has been with her pretty much since the beginning," Dane says. "I know her well enough to know she wouldn't just quit without reason, so she was either fired or she quit. I'll reach out to her." Dane texts the lead guitarist.

       By the time the school day ends, Dane gets a reply from the lead guitarist. "She was replaced," he tells me as we're at my locker. "She's pretty pissed because she didn't do anything that would warrant getting replaced, so I told her it's because Carrie just wanted to poach your musicians to try to roadblock your performances."

       "So Carrie's screwing other people over just to screw over me?" I ask. "How charming."

       "But on the bright side, the lead guitarist will gladly work with you," Dane says. "And she says she definitely won't go back to Carrie because Carrie has been a nightmare to work with lately."

       I smile. "Great, so that gives us a lead guitarist and a drummer already. We just need a bassist, rhythm guitarist, and keyboardist. Not bad."

       "And I will gladly substitute any of the instruments for now if we're struggling to find someone for it," Dane says.

       "You're so cool, Dane."

       "Uh... Thanks? Again?"

       "Did you get a reply from Major Vocal's manager yet?" I ask.

       Dane shakes his head. "Not yet. He's probably busy, so it might take all day to get a reply. And even if we do get one, it will most likely be something like 'I'll ask around', so we'll have to wait a bit longer."

       "That's okay," I say. "So speaking of waiting, are you ever going to tell me what this surprise is that you've been working on?"

       Dane just smiles at me. "Soon. I don't want to tell you what it is while it's a work in progress. I want to tell you when it's a sure thing."

       I sigh heavily. "Fine. But just know that I'm a very impatient person so I'll probably end up crying if I don't get to know it soon."

        Dane gently pats my cheek. "You'll live."

__________________

they're back! it's been another year since the last update :( but i've been missing them and thankfully had the motivation to update hehehe

i was also bored during one of my classes and wrote most of this then lol oops.