Chapter 22

Chapter 22

~Zion~

       "Alright, we've got two hours in here," Dane said as he took his laptop out of his backpack. "If we really focus, we can definitely record the songs before our time is up."

       "How were you even able to find this space so fast?" I asked. "We just talked about finding a studio space yesterday."

       "I know," Dane said. "But when I got home, I remembered that I had the contact information for a songwriter that works here. We haven't really talked in a while, but we mainly exchanged information if we ever needed help with something. I asked her if she knew anything about booking studio space here without being signed here."

       "Is this where Carrie is signed to?" I asked.

       "Yeah," Dane admitted.

       "I have to say, that just makes me enjoy this a lot more," I said. "She's constantly saying that my songs are mediocre and I'm not going to go far, yet here I am, recording at the studio she's signed to."

       "Technically, as long as you have the money to pay for it, you can book a room here. You don't have to be talented."

       "Let me enjoy this moment."

       Dane just smiled at me as he did all the technical stuff to get the recording studio ready. We already had all the backing tracks. We just need a better place to record my voice since the school was not working. 

       I couldn't wait until we actually had our own space to record whenever we wanted. Or at least whenever we had the time booked.

       "The songwriter I talk to, Coco, asked me why she hasn't seen me around here in a while," Dane said as he continued to set up the equipment. "I told her it was because I quit as Carrie's songwriter. You know what she said?"

       "Took you long enough?" I guessed.

       "I know you probably said that as a joke, but that's actually right," Dane said.

       I laughed. "For real? Man, I guess you're not the only songwriter who doesn't like Carrie."

       "It's not that she hated Carrie or anything," Dane said. "She was just constantly telling me that I deserve better as a songwriter. Sometimes, Carrie and I would have meetings here, and Coco would end up listening in on the conversations. She kept telling me to quit, but... Well, you know."

       "I should talk to this Coco," I said. "Let her know that I'm the reason you quit."

       "You're not the exact reason why I quit, but you were the person who gave me the push to do so."

       "All I heard was--"

       "Let me guess. All you heard as 'You're the exact reason why I quit'?"

       "Exactly. You know me so well."

       Dane smiled at me once again before saying, "Alright, we all set up and ready to go. What song do you want to record first?"

       "Top of it All," I said. "Definitely that one. I think it's a good song to sing first so I get the burst of adrenaline to keep going."

       "Got it," Dane said, so that was the song he got ready for me to sing to. I got into the booth, stepping up to the microphone and putting on the headphones. Once it was on, Dane leaned towards the microphone on his side. "Can you hear me?"