Chapter 23

Chapter 23

~Dane~

       "Uh, Dane," Zion said as I handed the next customer their order. Since it was Friday night, we were getting a rush of orders right now. Many people were at the movies right now, either on a date or because there was a new movie coming out. 

       "What is it?" I asked, not looking back at Zion because I had to get the next order ready. I thought he would have been fine just handling the register and the nacho machine, but I guess not.

       I mean, when has he ever been fine handling the nacho machine?

       "Something's wrong with the nacho machine," Zion said, which was what it took for me to look over to see how he was doing. That was when I saw the cheese pouring out, and Zion was trying his hardest to stop it from flowing on the ground by using the nacho containers.

       I sighed, walking over to the machine. I pressed the button to turn off the cheese, but it just kept flowing. The container Zion was holding was starting to overflow, so Zion had to grab another one, being careful not to get any of the scorching cheese on his skin. 

       This, obviously, wasn't the first time that the nacho cheese machine broke. I wasn't sure if this was just a Zion thing or if other workers had problems with it, but it happened enough for me to know exactly how to fix it.

       I hit the back of the machine and after a few more spurts, the cheese finally stopped running. At least this time, none got on the floor and made a bigger mess Zion and I would have to clean up.

       "Thank you," Zion said. "Remind me to tell my parents that the machine needs repairing."

       "Are you sure it's not just you that's breaking the machine constantly?" I asked.

       I thought Zion would object and just blame it on the nacho machine, but he just shrugged. "I don't know. It could be."

       I just smiled softly before rolling my eyes and going back to serving the current customer, apologizing for the small inconvenience. Though I was starting to think it might be best if I handled the machines.

       Thankfully, nothing else broke while Zion and I were handling the rush of people coming to the concession stand. Once the movies started, we weren't going to have too many people coming so we could relax. The only people that were going to come here were those hoping for a refill.

       Once the rush of customers was finally over, Zion suddenly lied down on the floor. "I'm exhausted," he said.

       "That's unsanitary," I said, organizing the concession stand as much as I could. I tried to be as neat as I could while serving customers, but that was kind of hard when I couldn't go too slow. I normally took breaks like these to organize things a bit.

       "Meh," Zion said. "I'm too exhausted to care. Besides, the floor is cleaned often."

       "Because you keep making a mess?"

       "Yes."

       "At least you don't deny it."

       "Why would I deny something that's obviously true? You know, I kind of wish I kept a pillow here so I could actually nap during these breaks."

       "I don't think you not having a pillow is going to stop you."

       Zion sat up. "You're right." He looked around before his eyes landed on his backpack. He scooted all the way over to it before lying back down, resting his head on the backpack. "G'night, Dane. Wake me when it gets hectic or something."