Chapter 30

Chapter 30

~Zion~

       "There you are," Marjani said as she, Miguel, and Divya walked into the school's music room. "We've been looking all over for you two."

       "Can't talk," I said, looking back to the notebook sitting on the table in front of me and Dane. "Busy."

       "Busy doing what, exactly?" Divya asked.

       "Songwriting," I said. "What else?"

       "That's all you two have been working on for the past few days," Marjani said. "I mean, that's some great dedication but aren't you going to get burned out eventually?"

       "I don't get burned out," Zion said, scribbling down some lyric ideas in the notebook. "At least, not often. I've been doing this for many years and I can recognize when a burn out is coming, so I start slowing things down."

       "No need to flex," I said.

       "It wasn't a flex. Just a fact."

       "Well, even if it was truly a flex, I'll accept it because you're hot."

       "It still wasn't a flex."

       "I was trying to compliment you, and this is what I get?"

       Dane just smiled at me before going back to writing down lyrics. We still had a few more songs to write if we wanted to get this album finished, which I really wanted to do as soon as possible. Of course, I wasn't going to rush any songs and produce something I wasn't happy with. But Dane and I were still working whenever we could to get it done.

       "Do you need some feedback for any of the songs?" Miguel asked.

       "Actually, yeah," I said. "I mean, both Dane and I love the songs so far, but it would be great to have you listen to it. We do have some recordings of the instrumental with us so... I guess I can sing one of the songs."

       Dane reached into his backpack and grabbed a folder that had the lyrics for the songs we had completed. We might change some things around if we think we needed to, but they were full length songs.

       Dane handed the folder for me to choose which song to sing. Once I chose one, I showed Dane my decision and he pulled the song up on his laptop. I went over to where the microphone was while Dane plugged his laptop into the speaker so I would be able to hear the music better.

       Once I was ready to sing, Dane started the song so I could let my friends give me some feedback. They once told me that they were glad I had a songwriter to work with so they no longer have to listen to my trash songs.

       Honestly, I wasn't insulted at all. I knew I was a horrible songwriter. At least Dane was making me better.

       Out of all the songs Dane and I had written so far for the album, this one was one of my favourites. It was about rising up together and not giving up at all. It wasn't exactly about the struggles Black people had to face, since I shouldn't be the one singing about their struggles, but it was sort of about standing up against injustice.

       Dolores and Donny told me that I could release one of the songs on the album as a single, and I was thinking of doing this song and donating the proceeds to the Black Lives Matter movement, so I didn't have to wait just for the album release to donate to it.

       Once the song finished, all three of my friends applauded while Dane went back to working on the lyrics he was beforehand. He was a very dedicated working, one of the many, many things I liked about him.

       "I loved it," Marjani said. "It felt empowering."

       "Which is exactly what I was going for," I said.

       "Did you tell them about your plans for the proceeds?" Dane asked.

       "I did not, but thanks for reminding me to do so," I said. "So the heads of the record label recently told me that I can release a song as a single, and I'm thinking of doing this one. All the proceeds will be donated to Black Lives Matter, as well as the first earnings I get from the actual album."

       "Really?" Marjani asked. "That's amazing, Zion. And if you are doing that, I think that song you wrote is perfect for it."

       "Thanks," I said. 

       "So what made you want to do that?" Miguel asked.

       "Uh, it could be because he's a good person," Divya said.

       "No, Miguel was right that there was something that made me want to do it," I said. "Basically, Ashawn and I went to a corner store and the cashier decided to be racist to him."

       "You should totally call out the store for that," Miguel said. "Even give them a negative review online."

       "You know what? I should do that," I said. "But as for right now..." I went back to the spot I was sitting on when Dane and I were working on some lyrics. "We've got some work today." I looked over at Dane. "Are we going to the studio today?"

       "Hold on, let me check," Dane said, taking his phone out of his pocket. "Yes, we do."

       "Don't tell me he's taking care of your schedule too?" Divya said. "You can do some of that stuff."

       "Uh, rude," I said. "And you guys know how horrible I am with time management. Dane is my best best to making sure I actually get to places on time."

       "Yeah, I'm surprised you're never late coming to work," Dane said.

       "That's because my parents own the theatre, so it's kind of hard to be late," I said. "They know my schedule, so they force me to go the days I try missing work. Not that I've ever tried to do that."

       Dane chuckled. "Of course you didn't."

       Dane and I got back to work, and Miguel, Divya, and Marjani decided to just hang out in the music room for lunch. They all had great taste in music, so it was good to bounce ideas off of them as well.

       As we were working, my cell phone suddenly beeped with a message. I took my cell phone out of my pocket, looking at who sent the text message. I furrowed my eyebrows once I saw who it was from. It was definitely not someone I wanted to receive a text message from. Ever.

       "What is it?" Dane asked when he saw the look on my face.

       "It's a text from my biological mother," I said.

_____________________

oof

i missed these two <3 sorry for taking almost a month to update it again. i was focused on my other books. (i really need to stop writing so many books at once lol)