Chapter 33

Chapter 33

~Dane~

       Zion has been so happy the past couple days ever since I told him about him opening for Major Vocal in a few weeks. In fact, he was so happy that he hasn't flooded the concession stand at work for a while now.

       Or spilled anything.

       Or forgot an order.

       Or tried taking a break five minutes after our shift started.

       Or basically anything that would have gotten him fired had he not been the son of the theatre's owners and they wanted him to have a job so he would stop asking them for stuff.

       The rush of customers started to die down, which was normally when Zion would try to sneak some popcorn and snacks, despite being constantly told not to. He didn't, this time. Instead, he just started cleaning up the concession stand to make sure it was nice and organized for when we got the second rush of customers.

       "I should get you more gigs if you're going to be working like this from now own," I said, leaning against the counter. 

       "I mean, you should get me more gigs regardless if it makes me work better," Zion said, a huge smile on his face. "I still can't believe I'll be opening for Major Vocal. The Major Vocal. They're, like, one of the biggest Canadian bands ever. And I know I keep saying thank you, but I'm going to keep saying thank you. Thank you, Dane. You are the best songwriter, boyfriend, and manager ever."

       "I'm the only songwriter and manager you've ever had."

       "Yeah, but I still know that you're the best."

       I smiled as Zion walked closer to me, placing his hand on my cheek before pressing his lips on mine. Unfortunately, a few moments later, someone cleared their throat so we had to pull away from each other.

       I looked over, seeing Carrie standing there with her arms crossed against her chest. I sighed heavily. "What are you doing here?"

       "Is that anyway to treat a paying customer?" Carrie asked. "Also, I'm pretty sure making out with another employee on the job is grounds for getting fired. I can take this up to management."

       "Oh, please do," Zion said. "I've been trying to get fired since I've started working here."

       "What are you doing here, Carrie?" I asked. "Movies already started, and I've already told you that I know you don't come to the theatres unless you have one booked. Which you don't."

       "I just wanted to talk you," Carrie said.

       "Right, and you had to come to my work to do it? You couldn't have done it anywhere else?"

       "You're never home and you never answer my calls. I'm pretty sure you blocked my number, too."

       Oh, oops. I totally forgot I blocked Carrie's number. I was just too tired of her constantly calling and texting me to try and convince me to be her songwriter again.

       She was always switching from wanting to hire me again to telling me that she didn't need me. I didn't get it.

       Despite Carrie saying she wanted to talk to me, she looked over at Zion, eyeing his arm that was wrapped around my shoulder. "Are you sure it's smart to be dating your songwriter?" she asked. "What's going to happen when you two break up?"

       "Who said that we would ever break up?" Zion asked.

       "Oh, please, it's going to happen eventually," Carrie said. "You two just... don't match."

       "How would you know that?" Zion asked. "You know pretty much nothing about me. Except for the fact that I am an amazing performer."

       "Debatable," Carrie said. "You're not going to get far in the entertainment industry?"

       "Is this what you came here for?" I asked. "To try and trash Zion? Because one, you're wrong. He is going to go far. And two, it's only making yourself look bad. There's more than enough room in the industry for the two of you. You can always, you know, mind your business and leave Zion alone."

       "Yeah, whatever," Carrie said. "Anyway, I need something from you."

       I furrowed my eyebrows. "What can you possibly need from me?"

       "A song."

       Zion rolled his eyes as he walked away, heading to the spot behind the concession stand that he always uses as his break; he sometimes napped there even when he wasn't on an actual break.

       "A song?" I repeated. "You... want me to write you a song? Even though I quit as your songwriter and made it very clear that I would never write a song for you again."

       "Look, the songwriters I have right now are useless," Carrie said. "I need a song by tomorrow and you're the only one I know that can write a song in a few hours."

       I snorted. "Do you not know what it means to quit? I'm never writing a song for you again."

       "Hmm, interesting. You might want to reconsider, though. There is something I know that you probably don't want your parents knowing."

       "And what would that be?"

       Carrie looked at Zion before looking back at me. "Your boyfriend."

       "Oh, I see," I said. "So you're willing to out someone to their parents just because they won't do what you want? And my parents already know that I'm gay. Telling them that I have a boyfriend isn't really blackmail. The only reason why I haven't told the is because I haven't really talked to them recently. Too busy."

       Or I've been ignoring them for a while because of the Thanksgiving incident where they were letting Carrie's parents trash Zion.

       "Anything else you want to try to blackmail me on?" I asked.

       "I have huge influence on the industry. I can make it hard for that boyfriend of yours to get signed to any label."

       "Too late. He's already signed."

       "I can make it hard for him to get gigs."

       "He has a big gig coming up."

       Carrie narrowed her eyes. "You're not going to win this."

       "Win what?" I asked with a small laugh. "I'm not going to write you a song. Now or ever. Trying to blackmail me is only pushing me farther away. If that's even possible. Can you leave now? And stop coming to my workplace to bother me?"

       "Fine," Carrie said. "But you're not going to win this?"

       I didn't even bother asking what she was going to win.

       "She is unbelievable," I said. "She actually thought I was going to write her a song."

       "Is it bad that I'm having fun with this little rivalry we have with her?" Zion asked. "Because this is really fun."

       "You find everything fun," I said.

       "Yeah, that's true," Zion said. "But really. I can believe she asked you to write her a song. You made it very clear you weren't going to do that again." Zion gasped. "Is she trying to steal you away from me?"

       "Probably," I said. "It won't work, though. I have way too fun writing with you."

       Zion smiled. "And I have fun writing with you. And also flooding the nacho machine." He looked over at the machine longingly. "I haven't done it in so long..."

       "Don't do it," I said. "You've been doing so well today."

       "Fine, but don't blame me if I do it during our next shift."

______________________

i love dane and zion so much <3

and carrie is annoying lol