Chapter 11

Chapter 11

~Dane~

       Zion and I finished the first part of the whole marriage project and honestly, I was a bit worried to see what the next part of the project was going to be. Mrs. Wizzle had said that the assignments weren't just going to be research and papers and presentations. They were going to get interesting.

       Sure, I liked school but how could this class get interesting? 

       We soon found out the moment family studies class started and Mrs. Wizzle told us what we were going to be doing today. "I was glad to see that all of your assignments were handed in on time. Now, for the next assignment, you'll be working on it for today, tomorrow, and you'll be ending it on Friday. It is where you'll be taking care of a baby."

       Zion raised his hand almost immediately and even though he didn't ask his question, Mrs. Wizzle seemed to know what Zion was going to ask.

       "No, Zion," Mrs. Wizzle said. "Not a real baby. A fake baby. I don't think I'm legally allowed to make you watch a real baby."

       Zion nodded and lowered his hands. Did he actually think that we were going to have to take care of a real baby?

       Mrs. Wizzle began explaining how taking care of the fake baby was going to work. Whenever it started crying, we had to scan its back with a bracelet we were given to register that we were trying to take care of it. After we heard a beep from scanning it, we had to figure out how to get it to stop crying.

       Seemed simple enough, except for the fact that we were high school students, and the babies would probably end up crying in the middle of the night.

       I didn't know what it was like quite yet, but just thinking about it was already making me have the respect for any parents who still attended school.

       Not too many people seemed happy with the fact that we were going to have to take care of fake babies. I, honestly, wasn't too mad about it. I knew being partnered with Zion was going to make it interesting.

       Unless we were both scheduled to work one of the days we were watching the baby. Zion wasn't the best at multitasking, especially because he was constantly trying to get fired.

       Okay, maybe it wouldn't be good to be partnered with Zion.

       Mrs. Wizzle told us it was going to take a while to get the fake babies set up for everyone, so she told us we could just do whatever we wanted as long as it wasn't disruptive. Part of me wanted to nap, but I knew I wasn't going to be able to with Zion sitting beside me.

       Mainly because as soon as I rested my head on my desk, Zion tapped my shoulder. "Psst," he said. "Dane. I have something important to ask you."

       I lifted my head to look at him. "What?"

       "I don't know," Zion said. "I just want you to pay attention to me."

       "Don't I always pay attention to you whenever we're together?" I asked.

       "Yes, but it's clearly not enough," Zion said. "I crave attention."

       "I can see that. You once called me in the middle of the night because you were bored."

       "Okay, but in my defence, you were awake so it wasn't like I woke up you or anything."

       "Fair enough."

       Soon enough, Mrs. Wizzle called me and Zion over to her desk so she could set us up with one of the fake babies. We got up from the desk and walked over, seeing a bunch of the babies lying on the table beside her desk.