Unnormalizing Gluttony

Food.

We need it to survive.

We need it for energy.

We need it to make us strong.

But we don't need it every waking moment of the day.

Food is an addiction; I don't care what others think about it. It is an addiction that so many overlook as people being 'lazy' or 'unathletic'. What people don't understand that is food is a tool the enemy uses to keep us in bondage and as an item to worship.

This addiction has slowly been normalized. People hide their food addictions behind, "Oh I'm a foodie! I just love food!' or "Yes my week was hard so I'm gonna go home and binge eat." 

Binge eating has become such a health issue that it has become an eating disorder. Isn't that sad? When we think of addictions we often think of drugs or alcohol even sexual addictions but rarely ever food addictions.

But take it from these ladies how food addictions are real and dangerous.

Addison:

I struggled with BED (binge eating disorder) for my whole life. I'm overweight and am so scared I'll never be able to lose the weight. I have goals, I want to start running but I'm so scared if people see me, they'll judge me. I want to work out in the gym like the girls I see online but I'm so scared people will record me and post it online making fun of me. I try to work out on my own in my own house, but I only ever commit to it for like two weeks before I give up. I just...I just want to be able to look in the mirror and love who I see. 

Bailey:

Growing up, I was allowed to eat whatever I wanted; there wasn't a limit. If I wanted food, I would just walk into the kitchen and get it. I remember once when I was under fourteen, I ate an enter family pack of Oreos by myself. I wish my parents had watched me better, had told me no when I wanted third helpings of food and when I wanted five snacks. I wished they had told me no about having food when they knew I had already eaten four times that day. I wished years later I wasn't still struggling with BED.

Hadlee:

Because of BED, I was overweight, and my family wasn't the nicest about me being overweight. My mother once told me my butt was shaggy and looked like my grandmother's. I remember once when I was a kid, me, my mother, and sister Gabrielle spent the day at the beach. We took lots of pictures and when we got home, our mother uploaded them onto her laptop for us to look at them. My mother had made some comment about how Gabrielle looked. Harshly, Gabrielle jabbed her finger into the screen of the laptop, pointing at my figure in the photo and said, "Look at that, she looks worse than me." Her words stung deeper than that of a bee sting and to this day I shudder every time I remember them. Those words are part of why to this day I avoid wearing bathing suits.

Florence:

I'm an adult and have never had sex before. I intend to keep my virginity until marriage. However, I'm so ashamed of my body that I don't think I'll ever be comfortable being naked in front of anyone, yet alone my future husband. 

Isla:

Sometimes I'll turn around and look over my shoulder into the mirror to see what I look like from behind. I always cringe when I see my large love-handles or how my back as rolls in it. Because of BED, I'm overweight and don't think I'll ever be able to look in the mirror and love what I see.

Mabel:

I'm scared to be hungry. I have PTSD from starving myself as a teenager and so now I'm thirty pounds overweight and hating my body every moment of it. I wished after I was freed from the starving disorder, that I had tried to figure out how to eat healthy instead of just falling down the rabbit hole of BED. 

Nylah:

I hate wearing robes, coats, towels, etc. Anything that shows off my body makes me so angry at myself for doing this to my body. Countless times I have wished I could wave a magic wand and make my body into what I desire it to be. 

Onyx:

Actually, this morning I began to try to eat healthier. I tried to eat a salad and then on the side an orange, black-berry yogurt, and granola bar. Then as a dessert two chocolate chip cookies. I ate that and then went to work and had a very back-breaking day there. Afterwards I had to help my grandmother go grocery shopping. I got home and that little voice in the back of my head whispered, 'binge eat you deserve it,' I tried so hard to ignore it but like always I gave in. I'm sick of it. I am so sick of not dieting and falling into binge eating. I'm fat, there's no nice or surgery way to say it. I'm fat. I've went up three pants sizes in the last year-and-a-half. I'm too embarrassed to go get bigger jeans so I'm left to only wear leggings and one pair of jeans that still semi fit. I'm done. This is my year and I'll be damned if I allow the devil to trap me in the cage of BED again.

Grace:

Y'all know me as Grace Green or TheChristianPrincess. You know me as the founder and creator of both The Christian Newsletter and The Holy Sisters United Program. As well as the author of To Know You and To Keep You. But who you don't know me as is the girl who has struggled with BED my entire life. There were days when I would eat so much, I would suffer from bulimia. And that was so unhealthy. To this day I still continue to suffer from BED and this disorder can only be described as sent from the devil. Many will say that quitting this addiction is easy and I say, 'if you think that, then surely you have never truly struggled with BED.' 

Because like a sexual addiction, food addictions are constantly reappearing into your life and whispering into your ear how good you felt while you were suffering from them.

Today, I just want to let anyone who is struggling with BED to know that you are NOT alone and it's okay to talk about your addiction. Yes, people will judge you, but people are always going to judge you. You might as well not be trapped within a cage while they are judging you. 

Join us next week where we will be 'Unnormalizing Depression.'

Have a blessed day/night.