Chapter 7

He opens his eyes, focusing them on nothingness. It is still early and dark. He sighs, stretching his arm across the bed, feeling it empty and cold. He is grateful that the coconut-vanilla scent of the omega is still on his pillow after a week. He breathes in hard, to stand up and start his day. It was a school day and he had to attend.

She prepares her breakfast, quietly, without a small voice behind her back asking unnecessary and meaningless questions. No soft murmurs of teenage songs either, much less unconscious caresses on swollen stomachs. She had grown accustomed to having the chestnut close, even if it was hard to accept.

She packs everything and stuffs it into her backpack. Then he grooms himself and gets dressed, in tight pants, a light sweater and the boots he always wears. He walks to school. He never takes the bus because he wastes money there, and he needs it. He's early, as usual, but he's lucky that Khun is early too. In his classroom, the shorter one was sitting in his place, and when he sees him walk in, he smiles at him.

"Good morning, Vegas."

"Hello, Khun" she ruffles his hair and sits down next to him.

The beta snorts.

"I hate it when you do that."

"I know" he smiles at her.

"Y... Have you talked to Pete?"

His smile drops and he grimaces, shaking his head.

"I haven't been able to, all the time he's in company."

"You should try, Pete's nice and I bet he'd listen to you."

"Still, what would I say to him?"

"You could start by apologizing. You should treat him with care. He's a pregnant omega and he feels a lot of things. Besides, you must talk to him today if or when is the appointment scheduled for?"

"Today."

"So, what are you waiting for?"

(...)

It is recess and he walks out, his backpack on his shoulder and his breakfast in his hand. He enters the cafeteria, the omegas turn to see him, smiling and waving flirtatiously, as always, he ignores them. He looks over all the heads. Looking for a special one, a straight brown one. He hears her laugh not far away. She's at a table with Arm, her cousin and another alpha, she doesn't know her name but knows she's an alpha, she's best friends with her cousin and has attended several "family" parties.

I want to go and get the omega away from the two of them and scream in their faces to never speak to her again. But he calms down, he needs to make things right and talk to Pete. So, hesitantly, he walks over to the table, standing to one side of the chestnut. His laughter stops and he clears his throat, getting serious.

"What are you looking for, Vegas?" asks Arm.

"I want to talk to Pete, can you leave?"

"Be nice," asks the blond alpha.

"Would you please get the hell out?"

"It could have been worse" he picks up his trash. "I'll see you later, Pete. We've got the after school advisory tomorrow."

"Bye, Arm. see you later, sure."

The two alphas say goodbye and walk to the dumpsters. Vegas takes his cousin's old seat, leaving his backpack on the floor and ate breakfast in front of him.

"Y... How are you?" Vegas asks him.

Pete shrugs his shoulders, eyes fixed on his hash browns.

"Fine, I guess," he pops a potato into his mouth and chews on it.