Chapter 8

Pete's house is homey. Inside, it's decorated with wood trim and family photos hang on the wall, and when you walk in the door, the first thing you see are the stairs leading upstairs to the bedrooms. Vegas sniffs for any strange smells - his alpha commands him to do so, in protection mode - but he only senses Pete's.

"Mom, I'm home!" Pete yells over the music that's playing.

The omega instructs the black-haired man to put his things down on the couch. A lady with long dark brown hair, comes out of the kitchen, she is not very thin but she looks good. Her face is handsome and she has the same eyebrows as Pete. Vegas has seen the omega's mother before, he just never noticed exactly what she looked like.

"Oh, Pete, you're a little late, don't you think?" Beta has a spatula in her hand and the other is smudged.

"Yep, I went with Vegas to do some stuff" the omega goes over to his mother to give her a hug. Vegas stays in his place.

"Hi Vegas, are you staying for lunch, if so, it's a pleasure for us to have you here."

"Good afternoon, Mrs. Pongsakorn" he nods.

"Okay, if you want to eat you'll have to wait a bit, because I'm still breading the meat."

"We'll wait then" Pete says, contracting his shoulders.

"Why don't you guys go upstairs and wait?" Without her hands, Thanya pushes her son toward the backs. "Total, pregnant you already are."

"Mom!" She reproaches him but his mom just laughs, walking to the kitchen. "Come Vegas, I'll take you to meet my room."

With red cheeks, they both calmly walk up each step. Pete opens a blue painted door. On the walls are posters of super heroes or some animated cartoon.

"Your room is..." Vegas frowns, searching for some word - kind - to say.

"Childish?" he nods, running a hand over the batman figure. "A 'remodel' I did when I was 12."

"That explains... everything, pretty much."

"But don't you like it?"

"Yeah, I mean, it's cute, I think."

"I taped every poster on the wall myself" he looks around, smiling "Mom thought I was obsessive and that someday-"

All at once, he stops talking and his eyes cloud over, his little pink mouth opens but nothing comes out of it.

"Pete, are you okay?"

Eyes wide, he smiles. He tries to speak but falls silent again.

"He's-he's m-moving."

"Who?"

"The baby" he points to his stomach and puts his hands on it.

The chestnut walks over to him and without asking, takes his hand and puts it on it.

"There it is, did you feel it?"

I wish I had felt it, but no.

"No, I feel it."

"Again!" She lifts his shirt and starts talking to him. "Hey, baby. I'm glad you're moving, but I hope you don't do it at night or you'll be really annoying."

Vegas moves closer, putting both hands on the omega's skin, trying to feel something. Actually, he just felt like touching him. Unbidden, he plunges his nose into Pete's brown hair.

"Why do you smell like coconut with vanilla, you're just coconut."

"When Mom was pregnant with me, I smelled like coconut and that's because she's beta. So... I guess the vanilla is for the baby."