2 | Marriage of Death

𝐇𝐚𝐧𝐧𝐢 𝐏𝐎𝐕

𝐇𝐚𝐧𝐧𝐢 𝐏𝐎𝐕

The moment I open my eyes in a hospital bed surrounded by wires?

Empty.

The moment my brother hugs me and breaks down in tears, expressing how grateful he is that I'm still alive?

Empty.

The only thing that's on my mind is, why am I even here? I was supposed to die. Not survive. To wake up is to be living through a life that has already ended.

He was shot during our car ride, seven hours into our marriage. I can still vividly picture him, his front wedding suit drenched in blood as he slowly bled to death. I cried his name out over and over, basically losing all of my mind.

How could I not? In just seven fleeting hours, I went from a blushing bride to a blood-stained widow.

I begged God to make it all a dream, but it wasn't. Not long after, I was shot, but the bullet missed my heart. I'm not sure if the killer did it intentionally or unintentionally but I remember our car being crashed before everything turned dark.

I get up from the bed. Never in my life have I felt so much pain from simply standing up. Thank goodness my brother held me before I could collapse to the ground.

"Hanni, you need to stay in bed! Don't walk until the doctor gives you permission to." Soobin pleads. His eyes screamed exhaustion, I just realized that.

God, what have I done? Can't I just stop making other people suffer?

I should've died.

"Where's Carl?" I inquire.

He tightens his hold on me. "Hanni—"

"WHERE'S HIM!??" I shout. Tears stream down both of my cheeks. More and more until I feel my whole face soaked with tears.

I know the answer to it and it drives me enraged.

No. He couldn't die. He must've survived in some way.

"He... he's no longer." Soobin uses his gentlest voice to not hurt me, but every single one of his words pierces my heart.

"YOU'RE LYING!!" I scream my lungs out, shaking my brother's body with my full force. Which barely even affects his towering frame.

"You're lying." My voice shaky. Tears reach my chin then drop to the floor. "Please tell me you're lying, please..."

I swear I caught my brother shedding a tear in my blurry vision before he drew me into a very warm hug. He caresses my head, soothing me down.

I weep madly into his right shoulder. My grip on his shirt is tight with both hands.

I can't live without him.

There's no point in living without him.

I should've died.

"It's going to be okay, Hanni." He whispers.

"You're fine. Everything's just fine." And I know it's more a hope than a statement.

𖨆𖨆𖨆

I continue living without him because apparently, life didn't end when he died. The world never stops spinning, just as the sun never stops shining.

I tried to jump off the building several times but my brother caught me each time and wouldn't let me. The doctor even threatened to send me to a mental asylum if they ever caught me trying to kill myself again—a total bullshit. I'm already living in prison before going to prison.

After more than a week, I'm finally recovered and going to live my life as normal again.

Throughout all these painful days, I couldn't be more thankful for having Soobin take care of me. He actually managed to convince me many times that there's nothing wrong with continuing to live my life. I deserve happiness too. Even without the love of my life.

I couldn't bear breathing in antiseptic and single bed any longer, so I decided to leave earlier than I should've.

As I'm strolling down the familiar hallway, I promise myself that I'll take revenge on whoever is in charge of destroying my marriage. By hook or by crook.

I changed my vow.

I'll kill the killer of my husband with my own pair of hands, whatever it takes. That's my vow to him now.

I don't live apart for exact revenge. My life will end after that. End of the story.

It's Sunday morning as I come to the police department. Carlos was a detective—an extremely dedicated one. Soobin is packing up all his belongings into boxes. Just from his room, it's so obvious what he indulged himself in.

He supervised a Mafia case. Lorenzo Mafia. The killer couldn't be anyone apart from them. I ball up my two fists.

Taking revenge won't be easy but I already vowed to him. And my life will end after that.

I help Soobin pack up his things too. As I'm putting the documents inside, it aches me so much as all the good memories play through my head.

God damnit, I miss him so much. I want him back. His smile, his voice, his touches are all still living in me.

I ended up bursting into tears in Soobin's arms for I don't know how long. It takes me longer than usual to finally get my mind over it.

"Miss Pham." Someone stood by the door, calling.

Soobin breaks the hug after some time. I wipe all my tears swiftly, gathering some composure by breathing in and out repeatedly.

He's Carl's partner in the investigation. Darius Alfonzo. He must've done all the things I thought he should.

He bows his head to me. Not an Italian thing to do. Not that it makes anything better, either.

"I'm sorry for your loss. My condolences to your family and friends. I can't imagine what you've been through."

"Just cut the chase already, Darius. I want the killer's identity. Now."

"Follow me."

Without any further inquiries, I follow up with my older brother beside me. He leads us to a very big room with a long table, a big screen, and a laptop on the table's end.

"As we all know, Carlos was in charge of mafia cases over the years. Those people who avenge him couldn't be apart of any of them." The screen lights up, showing each of the members of Lorenzo's profile as Darius changes the slides.

He stops at a picture of a woman named Kim Minji. Deep dark brown eyes, sharp nose, devilish but charming face features, black tousled hair, lip piercing, and Jesus, why does a heinous criminal have to be so fine?

"After days of research, we all agreed to a discussion. That she's undoubtedly the killer or at least the mastermind of the killing."

"What makes you so sure?"

Whoever you are, Kim Minji, I'll haunt you down till the end of the world and kill you!

Darius fast-forwards the slides on the big screen until it shows a picture of a CCTV of a metallic luxury car, the Black Badge Ghost. He zooms in on the pause of the camera footage, makes it clear until it exposes the plate number.

KM 057SL

"The chasing car. It belongs to her."