5 | Hug my neck

𝐌𝐢𝐧𝐣𝐢 𝐏𝐎𝐕

𝐌𝐢𝐧𝐣𝐢 𝐏𝐎𝐕

I carry a tray of hearty morning meals—waffles with flax and almond butter, a scrambled egg, toast, a fruit salad, healthy protein smooth fruit juice, strawberries, and blueberries. Honestly, I don't even know how these whole hearty morning meals fit in the whole tray but thanks to my mamma for helping me prepare everything.

I push open the big wooden door. A happy smile that I don't realize I've been curving fades the moment I see Hanni trying to get up by herself from the bed.

Quickly, I place the tray on the nightstand, rushing to her side to offer support.

However my efforts are met with a sharp whisper, "D-don't touch me." her voice trembling with a mixture of pain and defiance.

Her words sting more than I care to admit.

"You can't walk without someone's help, picollo," I insist, trying to keep my voice firm despite the hurt.

She glares at me with a very sharp look, then nudges both of my arms away. "I can walk on my own. Also, stop calling me picollo. I'm not little." She hisses.

Though her words stung, I couldn't help but feel a rush of affection for her fiery spirit. "But you are so little, picollo," I tease, a gentle smile tugging at the corners of my lips.

Our banter was interrupted by Hanni's sudden stumble, her injured ribs protesting against the strain. Without hesitation, I reach out to steady her, pulling her close against my chest.

Her breath hitched at our proximity, her body tense with a mixture of fear and uncertainty.

"Picollo—"

"I'm not little!" She responses, her words cutting through the air like a knife.

"Pham Hanni." I mutter her name in the softest tone.

She stiffens. Her angry demeanor turns confused. "How do you know my name?"

"Hyein went through your purse and found your identity card. But don't worry, all of your money is safe." I answer without hesitation.

She gulps visibly slowly as her throat throbs. "What else do you know about me?"

"You're a lawyer under an Italian legal firm named Francesca De Luca. You've been winning numbers of cases before, high-profile criminal ones." I tighten my hold on her waist.

Her whole body stiffens more. "You know too much..." She trails off and looks away, clearly uncomfortable with the revelation.

"Not as much as you know me, picollo."

A line of confusion appears between her brows as she looks at me back. "Excuse me, Mrs. Criminal, you haven't even told me what your name."

I chuckle softly. "Don't you know me already? Since you're too obsessed with those high-profile criminal cases."