16 | Show me Your Scars

𝐇𝐲𝐞𝐢𝐧 𝐏𝐎𝐕

𝐇𝐲𝐞𝐢𝐧 𝐏𝐎𝐕

I drive through the city streets as Chicago reveals its breathtaking allure. The majestic skyline, illuminated by a myriad of lights, stretches out before us. While the stars above twinkle in their celestial dance. This city never dies despite how old the night is.

In the silence of the car, I press down on the accelerator. Eager to reach the hotel where Minji and Hanni are staying. It's the safest we can think of now, thanks to its association with Lorenzo's company. Bonus point, it has ties to crimes too.

I steal a quick glance to my right.

Sofia.

That's what her name is. Her face drained of color. Her injured left arm cradled by her right, making me feel guilty for not being able to treat her right away.

"Just a few minutes and we'll be there." My voice breaks through the silence of the car.

"What's your name?" She asks. "I heard them say it, but I don't remember. Hae... Hee... something?"

"Hyein. Lee Hyein." I answer with a smile, happy to know she's comfortable enough to talk with me.

"Hae... He... Hye?" She's still struggling.

"Nevermind. Just call me by my English name. Grace. Grace Lee."

"You have an English name?"

"Just in case something like this happens." I explain casually. "Much easier, right?"

"Grace. I think that suits you," she says softly.

"How so?"

"I don't know. You seem cool. Grace sounds cool too."

I laugh. She's good at lightening up the moment even in a condition like that. "Thank you," I whisper.

"Guess you're not from around here. Korean?" She queries.

I nod, explaining, "I'm fully Korean. But I'm fluent in Italian since I've been working there for years."

"Oh," she answers with a glint of amusement. "I have a Korean name too."

"Really? Are you somehow Korean?" I ask, intrigued.

She shakes her head. "Nope. I just got it online."

I chuckle softly. "What's your Korean name?"

"Sullyoon. Sullyoon De Luca." She answers.

"So your surname is De Luca?"

She nods. "That's right."

"That's beautiful," I compliment sincerely. "And so are you. You're beautiful."

"What?" She smiles and giggles before wincing in pain over her injured arm.

I straighten up, immediately pressing the pedal as hard as I can, speeding through the empty road.