15 | After the Storm

𝐌𝐢𝐧𝐣𝐢 𝐏𝐎𝐕

𝐌𝐢𝐧𝐣𝐢 𝐏𝐎𝐕

Just like that, the war is over.

Heavy silence descends. Eerie calm shrouds the scene. Wisps of smoke drift lazily through the air, casting a hazy veil over the scene below. Lifeless bodies litter the ground. Crimson pools form around them like macabre paintings.

Hyein really killed them all.

I catch sight of my papà slumping on the ground, clutching his stomach before collapsing to his knees, his hands desperately reaching out before falling still.

I come out of the car that I've been hiding, feeling useless and stupid because all of this time I've done nothing. A hand grabs my wrist just as I'm about to move forward, pulling me back with forceful urgency.

I turn to see Sofia's teary eyes. She tightens her grip on my wrist, her hands trembling with fear.

"Don't," she mutters.

"We're safe now. They're all dead." Gently, I free myself from her grasp with my other hand.

"Who was shooting above? Are you sure they're—"

"Friends," I finished.

Without another word, I rush to my papà's side. As quick as I can.

A sharp intake of breath escapes me. The sight of his blood-soaked shirt and clenched fists sending a surge of panic. He coughs violently, spitting up blood as he struggles to stay conscious.

"Papà." My voice chokes as I kneel beside him.

His white shirt soaked with blood, shows how badly he's hurt. His eyes seem empty, yet I can still feel a hint of love deep down. He loves me.

Slowly, he reaches out to touch my cheek. The warmth of his touch is a bittersweet comfort amidst the chaos that surrounds us.

"Minji," he starts. Another fit of coughing sends blood splattering onto the ground.

"Don't." Tears blur my vision as I focus on his half-open eyes.

I grasp his hand on my cheek tightly in mine.

"Minji," his manly voice strains. "I'm so proud of you."

"Shut up." I cut him off, tears welling in my eyes as I cling to his hand with desperate fervor. "It's not your fucking time yet."

"You troubled kid," His smile is so sweet and fragile. Sadness tinges his gaze as he looks deeply into me. "Always facing problems in life. Always unfortunate."

"Papà," I choke out. My vision blurred by tears again as I struggle to comprehend the moment.

"Tell your mamma I love her, okay? Mingyu and Jihye too..." he manages to say between coughs, his voice strained and weak.