3 | Outrunning Car

𝐌𝐢𝐧𝐣𝐢 𝐏𝐎𝐕

𝐌𝐢𝐧𝐣𝐢 𝐏𝐎𝐕

Despite being the second child of a notorious family, I still face troubles during dinner. Tonight the dinner is prepared in the same luxurious way as always—wagyu beef, prawn appetizer, salad with ginger dressing and red wine filling the tall glasses. Still, it couldn't be more bitter than never knowing what I'm getting involved in.

"Have you found a woman yet, Minji?" My mamma queries. Her voice is flat enough to burn anger through my entire body.

I clench both the knife and fork firmly. Danielle notices it, gently strokes my arm to help me feel better. What a sweet gesture from her.

"Mamma, why did you keep on pressuring Minji? She has the right to be in love or not. It's not anyone's job to decide when or who." For once my brother is actually on my side. God bless him.

"Mingyu, haven't I lectured you enough about being shut up when I'm talking?" Mamma shoots him a look. Cold enough to put Mingyu in a hush.

Mingyu shoves the forkful of beef into his mouth slowly. "Alright, sorry."

Mamma pays attention to me back. "Answer my question, Minji."

I stare at the steak on my plate and no longer have any appetite.

"Not yet." I mutter quietly. The two words echo sorrowfully through the dining room.

Mamma crosses her arms over her chest. "I give you a month and your answer is always the same. Now I have no other choice but to force you. Next week, I'll introduce you to a girl and arrange a marriage."

"But, mamma..."

"No exceptions, honey. This is all for your own good."

I slammed the table with both the fork and knife, making Danielle beside me flinch. Damn it I don't mean to scare her like that.

I take a glance at each of my family members around the big round table. Mamma's still staring at me authoritatively in the eyes, indicates that she's deadly serious with every single word that comes out of her mouth.

Papá and Mingyu exchange blank looks as they look at one another. They know they won't win when it comes to this matter so they're better off in silence.

Danielle's love for me as a sister is evident in her eyes. Like mamma, she wants me to be happy too. But really, can't they just leave me the fuck alone with my tragic love story?

A cold tear slowly running down my right cheek. My breath is heavy with each of the second passes.

I miss her.

I stand up, roughly wiping my tears away with the back of my hand. I kiss Danielle's cheek sorry before turning and walking away.

"Minji!" Mamma calls for me. I don't give a fuck to it.