29 - Step by Step

Theo went to the parking lot and saw Lucy already waiting in front of her car for him. "Hey Theo, nice to see you." She said and went towards the car door "Get in" Lucy said. They both get in the car "Hi Lucy, thanks for picking me up" He said looking at Lucy.
Lucy started the car and drove off "It's cool you said yes for today. I think at first we should go and eat something right?" She asked him with a smile on his face. Theo answered "Otherwise I would have just been bored at home anyway. Yeah why not i'm a bit hungry".
They arrived at the next burger shop to get some food and drinks. "Wow they are really good, I didn't expect that." Lucy said eating her burger. Theo nodded "But you remember the burger from the park? nothing can top them" He smiled, Lucy thought for a moment "Oh yes you're right they were so good".
When the two of them finished eating, they sat at the table and drank something "So the weather is actually so good today, what if we just drive to the park and play basketball? I'm sure i'm gonna beat you Theo." She asked him, Theo smiled "Okay let's do it, I hope you know what you're getting yourself into. I win against dad very often" He laughed.

When they arrived at the park, the two went straight to the basketball court. Theo took the basketball and started to play "Okay, the first one to hit 10 baskets wins" He said, Lucy agreed and they started to play. Theo hit the basket and shouted "That's number 6. Lucy what's wrong", Lucy laughed "Do not celebrate too early". Lucy hit her 3 basket "Yeah i'm coming" She said, Theo gave her a high five. "Okay wait a little break. Your dad calls me and I need to breathe, you're fast." Lucy said answering the phone.
Theo waited while Lucy talked to his dad, he looked around and took a little break too. When he looked to the right he saw 3 boys walking, the boys looked familiar to Theo. He realized that Charlie, Nick and an other boy were there. Theo is confused, why Charlie is out with Nick. Charlie looked over to Theo, he turned around fast. "Hey Theo, what are you doing here" Charlie came over and asked him. "I'm just here playing basketball with the girlfriend from my dad. You're friends with Nick? He asked Charlie. "Not really friends, you know he got some things I need." Charlie laughed walking away again.
"Okay i'm ready let's go" Lucy said happily, Theo asked her why his dad called her. "Just something about work, nothing important." She answered. "Lucy i'm really exhausted from school and now from our game, what if we drive home and just see what we do there" Theo explained to Lucy. Theo couldn't reveal what his real problem was. He was totally distracted by Charlie, and he also feels uneasy now that he knows Charlie is meeting Nick.
Lucy agreed and they both drive home.

When they came home, Theo sat down on the couch, Lucy got some drinks and sat next to him. Theo got his phone out to check if Charlie texted him, but there was no message except from his dad, that he will be home soon. "And any plans for the week?" She asked him, Theo looked at her "Just school I think. Dad said I can't go out anymore, I don't know." He answered. Lucy seemed confused "But why did he said that" She asked Theo. "Look I was out yesterday and when I came home dad said i smell like weed, so of course he thought I smoked and I told him I didn't but he didn't believe me no matter what. So he just got mad and said that." He explained to Lucy. "Oh okay. But you didn't smoke right? Maybe you can talk to him again in a moment where you guys don't fight." She tried to help Theo. It was silence for a moment "Also you could explain him why you smelled like weed? Was there maybe a person with you, who smoked?" She asked Theo. He didn't say anything but then finally he told her. "Lucy please don't tell my dad. I told him that I will meet Noah my best friend but I visited someone else and he smoked something but I swear I didn't smoke. So I can't tell him, that my friend smoked because he will definitely call Noah's parents." He tried to explain to Lucy in a nervous voice. Lucy had a shocked face "Okay wow. Theo why did you lie to him? What if something happened and he doesn't know where you are? I won't say anything but you have to be honest to him." she tried to explain calmly to Theo.
Theo lowered his head "I know i'm sorry. I just didn't know if he would allowed me so I just said it's Noah" He said. "Okay next time you don't lie and I think you should tell your dad the truth. I know you don't want that but it would be the best, because then he can understand why you smelled like weed and can believe you more that you didn't smoke." Lucy told him. Theo agreed with her but still don't know if he will tell his dad the truth.

20 minutes later the front door opened and Tim came into the house. "Hey you already here, how was your day?" Tim asked Lucy and Theo with a smile on his face. They both got up and went with Tim to the kitchen to talk about the day.