𝟏𝟒❤︎

amaiyah dìaz
nyu campus, new york
8:33 am

I was back at campus after a short two-week break. I knew I had to get back on my grind because normally during breaks I would study my ass off and get ahead of my schedule.

This break I was with Kay the whole time, so I put him on the top of my list..I don't wanna call him a distraction, but he did make me feel like I was falling behind.

I step into class and sit down in the front row, near the door. The professor starts handing out a paper that looked like a test and I was confused.

We had a test today? I ask myself as I have an confused expression on my face. "As I can see some students haven't checked their mail" the professor remarked clearing his throat as he looks at me.

"Today we are having a small test to see how far you are in this subject. It counts along with your exam" he explains.

My stomach dropped at his words and I was starting to feel a bit dizzy. You may think i'm overreacting but I can't afford to fail. I'm not made for failure.

Ever since I could remember I needed everything I did to succeed, some may think that's a bad habit but I didn't see it that way.

Although my family is very different...all they did was fail. My dad failed to be there for me while going trough my hardest years and my mom failed to take good care of me in those years.

I have never been very dependent on anyone so I got trough it alone but I really can't fail uni because I'll fail myself and end up just like my parents.

My mom has got the money for the tuition from my uncles and aunts that live in London so I can't fail and disappoint them either.

I was completely zoned out into my own thoughts until the professor tapped my desk. I snap back into reality and look up at him.

"We have limited time so go on and take the test" he whispered as he looked on his watch. I nod and look down at the paper which had 23 questions in total.

The first question read 'Is it proper to give your client legal advice when you have reason to believe that the knowledge you give him will tempt him to commit perjury'.

My brain hurt when I read that question, as my hand quickly reaches my temple to soothe it. I knew that if I just studied when I had that break i'd know it.

I put down my first ever '?' on a test with hesitation in my hand. Soon every single question consisted of '?' by my answers.

The alarm on the board goes off letting us know that the time is up. The professor takes everyone's test off of their desks and takes them in.

My test was the last to be picked up, when he did he flips trough the pages and takes a look. His expression changed to a rather concerning one, he looks up from the paper and squats down next to my table.

"Amaiyah, what happened?" he asks me in a soft tone, which was filled with slight concern. I didn't look up at him since I just couldn't take anything right now, I shrug as I look to my left.

"Well..if there's every anything you need from me, i'm here" he says calmly as he stands up again. I quickly stand up, grab my bag and make my way to the door.