𝟏𝟕❤︎

Amaiyah Díaz
east village, manhattan
9:23 AM

I was craving a chopped cheese sandwich, right when I woke up. Normally I just skip breakfasts and eat later in the day but today I woke up feeling hungry. I get out of my bed and walk to the bathroom to brush my teeth and do my usual routine.

When I'm done I put on some clothes, a white and light grey striped blouse with blue washed baggy jeans. I pair that with some gold jewellery and my white adidas sambas.

I didn't wanna put on makeup today so I just left the house, with my purse and coat in my hand. I make my way to the nearest deli and enter, the little bell on the top rung, letting the owner know someone entered.

"Hi Miguel" I spoke out to the boy behind the counter, I was a frequent visitor, always stopping by when I needed snacks. "buenos días maiyah" he greeted me back as he cleaned the counter with a rag.

I walk to the drink section to grab a bev, cause eating a chopped cheese without bev is crazy. I look trough the options and decide on an Arizona peach ice tea. I then make my way back to the counter to pay for the drink and order my food.

"Lemme get a chopped cheese with extra cheese" I told him my order as he nods and chuckles. "Always extra cheese, huh?" He smiled, his strong accent being heard, as he added the beef to the grill. "You know me" I joked along as I lean back against the wall on the side.

Miguel is a boy who immigrated from Venezuela not so long ago, his parents are still there so he moved on his own. He's a nice guy with good manners and works in this deli to pay for his rent. Seeing his dedication motivated me even more, everyone has shit going on in New York.

That's why New York has the 2nd most homeless people in the city, rent is high, especially nowadays. I still love the city so I have no regrets about coming here.

Miguel snaps my out of my thoughts as he places my order on the counter, before putting it in a bag for me. "Thank you my heart" I smiled as I took the bag and put a $20 dollar note on the counter, nodding at him to keep the change.

"Muchas Gracias ángel" he smiled widely as he put his hands together as a thank you. I smile before exiting the deli, making my way back home to eat this food.

As I walked I noticed a group of men standing near my apartment building, their clothes were ripped and stained, hair was messy and their beards were long and unshaven. Normally if you ignore homeless people they'll move on and find someone else to bother but these ones weren't planning on leaving me alone.

I didn't wanna walk into my apartment until they were gone because who knows what they'll do. "Aye you!" One spoke out with a loud voice, pointing at me. I try not to look as I walk around the block but I heard footsteps following me.

"I'm speaking to you, you whore!" He now yelled out to me, as I felt him getting closer. I didn't know what to do so I started walking even faster, not thinking about where I'm going. I cross the street but suddenly hear loud tires screeching and big flashlights on me.

I turn to my right and see a car, it stopped right before it could hit me, the woman inside was cursing at me and pointing with her hands. I quickly run to the other side of the street and just keep on walking. I look back to see the two homeless guys, shock on their faces because they almost witnessed me being ran over.