Chapter 69

"There's a possibility that they are." He tried to sound calm.

"A POSSIBILITY?" I yelled on my phone. "How did this happen Thiago? What are you doing to find them? Just how bad is the weather?"

"Well we have a problem, there's no signal, the power is out in all the shelters and the backup generator in ours is not looking good."

"So what are you doing to find them?" I repeated.

"We aren't sure they haven't made it back to the car. They could be fine for all we know and driving somewhere to find signal to call us."

"And if they aren't?"

"I'm gonna talk to the staff here. We'll figure it out. But look, don't be worried or anything. It's not like something could happen to them. The park is as safe as it gets."

"Everyone else is fine?"

"Yeah, yeah, everyone is accounted for."

"And no one knows anything?"

"I will gather as much info as I can and I'll call you back. But they have a map. Maybe they just went back to the cars."

"I hope so." I said hanging up my phone. I hoped that backup generator would last and he'd be able to call me again.

I took a deep breath before calling Liv again. Nothing. I tried David, nothing again. How the hell did this happen? Why can't we catch a break?

The door opened and Dr. Runco and my father came back inside. "We are all set. Ready to head back."

"I can't actually."

"What's wrong?" Dr. Runco asked me.

"I have to be somewhere."

"O que está acontecendo?" my father asked me.

"Eu tenho que partir."

"Para onde?"

"Serra dos Órgãos."

The moment I said it my father almost exploded in a fit of rage.

"Look I'll meet you back at Granja Comary."

"How will you go? You don't even have a car. Neymar just tell us what happened." Dr. Runco said.

I sighed. I couldn't see a way out of it so I started telling them everything. My father tightened his lips so hard when he heard Liv's name, they were almost white.

"So they are essentially lost?" Dr. Runco asked. "And what you are you going to do? I don't think they'd let anyone inside the park in this weather."

"Yeah I know that. I have to go see if David's car is there. If it is it means they are still inside somewhere."

"We are gonna have to call Scolari."

"No!" I exclaimed. "It's our free day. If David's not back for practice tomorrow morning, then you can involve Scolari. But there's no need to do that before then. We can't let this turn into a big thing."

"What was David thinking?" Dr. Runco said weighting his options for a moment. "Okay, okay. Let's go." He finally conceded.

~

Thiago's POV.

"Has he heard from them?" Marina asked me, her brow furrowed, her worry visible.

I shook my head. "He's coming here. To see if David's car is still here."

"We have to send a search party out there." Marcelo said. "They might be in trouble."

"It isn't wise to leave the shelter in this weather." Carlito, one of the park caretakers said. He was in charge of shelter #2, the one we were currently at.