Chapter 34

Alex closed the door behind him when he left and I collapsed on the couch once again, wondering how things could go from disaster to great in a matter of a day and then back again.

The door opened and to my relief David got inside.

"How is he?"

"He's alright." He told me, sitting next to me. "Alex?"

"He is fine. Except he broke up with me."

"You're kidding right?"

"I wish... Let's not talk about it." I said, relaxing back on the couch. Most of all I wanted to sleep. "Um, do you think I could go see Neymar?"

"Maybe it's not the best idea..."

"Great, he hates me too."

"No, it's not that. He is... You'll talk to him in the morning."

"In that case... I'm going to bed. Hopefully I'll fall asleep right away, but I don't think I'll be that lucky."

"Alright. I'll see you in the morning." He said, giving me a hug. "And before I forget, tomorrow afternoon you are coming to Rio with me and Sarah."

"No, no David I don't want to spoil your date..."

"Sarah asked me to tell you. Not ask you, tell you." He said winking at me.

"Alright." I smiled.

I returned back to my room and as I had predicted I couldn't fall asleep. I almost felt numb, and the truth was that I didn't want to process what happened. Because if I did, then I would have to deal with how I felt about it too.

I heard a screech as my door opened. It was dark in my room and in the hallway so I could only make out a shadow.

"Who is it?" I asked, suddenly alert.

The shadow moved towards me and kneeled besides my bed. "It's me." Neymar said.

"Jesus Neymar! You scared the shit out of me!"

"I'm sorry." He said as I searched for the light switch. "No, don't."

"Is it that bad?" I asked.

"My face? No, no, it's not that." He said. Somehow he found my hand in the dark and placed his on top of it. I felt butterflies in my stomach, but my self-control took over and I removed my hand gently. "Ouch." Neymar said. "That hurt way more than the punch."

"Neymar..."

"It's okay. It didn't hurt nearly as much as the fact that you didn't come see me at all. I know you said we should keep our distance but..."

"David told me I shouldn't." I said quickly.

"He did?" He considered it for a second. "He was probably right, but I couldn't help myself."

"How are you?" I asked him.

"I'm great, really." He said.

"I'm so sorry for everything."

"Nothing that happened was your fault."

"Why does it seem like we keep saying that to one another? Like every other day?"

"I have no clue. Honestly. Scooch over."

"Neymar why are you here?" I asked him, as he tried to get comfortable on my bed. This wasn't good.

"Didn't we say we'll continue our Harry Potter marathon?"

"What?" I asked, before I remembered what he was talking about. "And where is Thiago then?"