Chapter 45

I woke up from the sound of my own screams, icy blue eyes staring back at me. I blinked and the image disappeared. I realized that I was shaking as I got out of bed. I sat down again, trying to calm myself. I hadn't had a dream like that in so long that I thought I was finally rid of them. I hated these dreams so much. But they were also somewhat welcome. There were some things that no matter how painful they were, not having them in your life was even more painful.

 After my heart beat slowed a bit I decided to give it a go again and get up. I went to the bathroom and washed my face with cold water and I instantly felt better. I went back to my room and got dressed in my CBF clothes, the black shorts and fuchsia shirt of the coaching staff.

When I went down for breakfast I saw that only a handful of the players were already up.

"You look like hell." I heard and turned around.

"Gee, thanks Peter. You are always so sweet."

"No I meant... Sorry you're right. I meant you look like you haven't slept at all."

"You could say that." I told him as we got our breakfast and headed for an empty table.

"I can't believe that this time tomorrow we will be heading to the stadium for the opening ceremony." He commented, looking excited.

"I know, right? Winning our first game..."

"Oh you're so sure we'll win?"

"Aren't you? I like our odds." I told him.

"Yeah I do too." He agreed. "And to think we are partially responsible for that?" He said, his eyes glistening. It was true. We had played our part in this, no matter how big or small, it was important.

"How's Alex?" I asked him. I knew it would potentially backfire, me asking him about Alex, but I did want to know. By someone who knew him well.

"I'm not gonna lie to you, he was hurt. But he'll be fine." He said.

"I never meant..."

"Listen, you do what you have to do, okay?" He said. "I don't blame you and he certainly doesn't either."

"Thanks."

"For what it's worth, I think I was taking my anger out on you and you didn't deserve it. I'm sorry for that."

"I did deserve some of it." I chuckled. "But Peter, let go of her." I told him.

"I know. I will. I think I already have. Because... there isn't much to hold on to, is there?"

"There's not." I told him the truth. "You'll be fine too, you know."

"We are all gonna be just fine." He said sarcastically and we both laughed. "Your friend Haley..." Peter started saying, "is she single?"

"Umm, I think so." I said remembering how Neymar asked me about Haley too.

"Okay, cool." Peter said, a small smile appearing on his face.

"I had to do a double take when I saw you too together." Alex said approaching us.

"What are you talking about? We are the best of friends!" Peter said as Alex sat down next to him.

After breakfast we took the team bus to go to the stadium.  The last practice was weird. Everyone seemed more nervous, anxiety creeping up on them. Missing a pass was like the end of the world.

"Get your shit together David. You are one of the best in the world." I told him jokingly. Somehow when everyone was afraid and nervous, I found it in myself to be brave. Maybe it was easier to be brave for someone other than yourself.