Chapter 8

Neymar's POV

"What happened?" I asked David when Olivia left.

"There were paps and fans outside, someone elbowed her in the face and it will leave a bruise." David told me sitting on the sofa.

"Damn it!" I said sitting next to him.

"Relax it's not serious." David told me.

"Yeah, but still. Sorry for leaving you guys."

David nodded. "You have to tell her, Neymar. This isn't funny anymore."

"I know. I know." I said, burying my head in my hands. "I don't know how. She'll be mad no matter what."

"That is for certain. But you can salvage it." David told me. "It is a miracle she hasn't found out already."

"I know. Oh God, I should have told her right away." I sighed. "I screwed up."

"Why didn't you?"

"I don't know. When I first realized she didn't know who I was, I was kinda stunned."

"Figures." David said sarcastically.

"And I rolled with it. For fun, to see how someone would treat me if they didn't know I was famous... I don't know."

"And what did you find out?"

"That I liked it. It's nice to get a little resistance here and there." I told him. It was true. People always agreed with and went out of their way to accommodate me. Sure it was convenient but it wasn't real.

David nodded. "But still. Tell her as soon as possible. I hope no one at the club gives you up."

"Me too. That would be a disaster." I groaned.

Olivia's POV

I splashed some cold water to my face, already feeling better. I took a deep breath and returned to the club. I found Juninho and David sitting in one of the sofas in the VIP area, talking. I walked towards them and grabbed my drink from the table. I downed it all.

"Easy there!" David told me.

"Yummy." I said. "Who wants another one?" I asked them.

"Hello!" I heard from behind me. Thiago, Dani and Hulk arrived along with Oscar and a girl I presumed to be his girlfriend.

"Oh good everyone is here! How about shots?" I said.

Everyone laughed and Thiago followed me to the bar to get the shots. We returned with the glasses and gave one to everyone.

"To the world cup!" Hulk said.

"TO THE WORLD CUP!" everyone repeated.

As the night progressed we drank shots with variations of that sentence a few times. "To Victory!" "For the Sixth Star!" and a lot more.

I had a light buzz going on and I was dancing non-stop with everyone. The music was really good, it was mostly in Portuguese so I didn't understand the lyrics but it was great for dancing. I was sweaty but I was feeling really great.

"Just how drank are you?" Hulk who I was dancing with asked me.

"Not as much as you!" I told him laughing.

"I am not drank!"

"You better not be! You have practice in the morning!"

We started laughing, not because what I said was extremely funny, but because we were in a very good mood.

"Where is Juninho?" I asked looking around. I realized that the reason why I asked that was that my light buzz made me not control what I said, but it also made me more sincere. I'd tell exactly what was on my mind.

"No clue." Hulk told me.

"I have to find him." I said and started making my way through the crowd, looking for him.

After a few minutes disappointed by my lack of progress I returned to the VIP section. The bouncer let me in smiling this time.

I found Oscar and his girlfriend sitting on the sofa, talking to Thiago.

"Hey, what happened to you?" Oscar asked me.

"I can't find Juninho." I said and sat next to him.

"Who?" Oscar asked confused.

"What?" I asked confused as well.

Oscar shook his head. Dani approached us with Hulk.

"So how about we take the celebration to the beach?" he asked us.

"What?" I asked again.

"I talked it out with the manager." He informed us.

"C'mon!" Hulk said grabbing my hand to lift me from the sofa.

We followed them to the beach. It looked wonderful. There were candles floating in the water and pyres in the sand

 "So is this the VIP treatment?" I asked.

"Of course!" Dani exclaimed.

I tried to sit in the sand without spilling my drink but almost collapsed.

"Hey Livvie, careful there." I heard and turned around. It was David.

"Oh it's you."

"I am hurt." He said putting his hand on his chest.

"No, I didn't mean... I meant..." I struggled. My buzz had grown and my ability to form sentences was declining.

"Yeah, yeah." He sat next to me and I put my head on his shoulder.

We sat there for a while, watching the others who were dancing and swimming. Oscar and his girlfriend couldn't keep their hands off each other. They were so cute. I wanted to join them, swim amidst the candles but I wasn't in the mood to move. Neither was David.

"Why are you sad?" I asked him.

"Why do you think I'm sad?" he asked me.

"You're sitting here with me, instead of out there." I said pointing towards the guys.

"Why are you sad?" he asked me. "You're sitting here with me too."

"It always happens to me. After the buzz disappears." I said.

"You sure that's the only reason?" he asked.

I knew what he meant. He wanted to see how much I was affected by Juninho's absence. I hadn't seen him since the beginning of the night and by now I realized he was avoiding me. Me or someone in our group of friends. But I doubted he had a reason to avoid anyone else. Not that I could realize why he avoided me. It made me feel awful. I hated the fact that someone's behavior towards me would affect my mood so much.

"No David, it doesn't have anything to do with the fact that my friend Juninho has been avoiding us all night." I said. Damn my sincerity!

"Juninho isn't avoiding us." He told me.

"Yeah, yeah, not you, only me." I cut him.

"No Olivia, I meant that he left."

"He did?" I turned towards David. "Why?" I asked.

He shook his head. I felt a little hurt he didn't say anything to me before leaving. Did something happen to him?We stayed silent for a while before I remembered how our conversation started.

"So why are you sad, David?" I asked him again.

He looked at me for a second, considering how to answer before he said: "That's a tale for a different time, Livvie." He said, hugging me.

 I rested my head on his shoulder again. David Luiz was a great friend to have.