Chapter 85

The next morning I remembered where I was before I opened my eyes. It filled me with a sense of happiness to think that I was in Granja Comary with Neymar sleeping next to me. I opened my eyes to look at him, because not looking at him felt like time wasted. But he wasn't there.

Instead his laptop was open on the desk, the screen still on, so he couldn't be gone for too long. I got up and went to the bathroom, thinking he'd be back soon. It was still too early for breakfast and we had two hours before practice, so where could he be?

When I came out of the bathroom he still hadn't shown. I was about to leave when I heard my phone vibrate. It had been on silent since yesterday and with horror I saw dozens of missed calls and texts from different people.

Something must be wrong, I realized. I was about to start reading the texts when the door opened and Neymar got in. He wore an expression on his face that must have mirrored mine.

"You saw?" He asked me.

"Saw what? I have like a thousand missed calls... What's happening?" I asked him.

Without answering he sat on his desk and started typing on his laptop. To my horror I saw a picture of the two of us kissing. "It's everywhere in Brazil. Soon international press will start picking up on it too."

"How?" I asked, as he scrolled down revealing more pictures of us. Us on the beach, us in a restaurant. Swimming together, walking, playing football, kissing. Him carrying me on his back. Him in his football jersey holding my hand after their win yesterday. "Those pictures... They're... Oh my God." I whispered, running a hand through my hair. "Oh my God. Oh my God."

"Liv, calm down." Neymar said firmly, but he made no move to approach me.

"What are we going to do?" I asked when my phone rang again. "This is a Brazilian number! Who in Brazil –"

"DON'T PICK IT UP!" Neymar said and took it from my hand. "I don't know how the hell they got your phone number."

The door opened and a disheveled David walked in. He must have just woken up too, his phone on his ear. "You saw?" He asked us, but it wasva rhetoric question. "I'm with them Sarah. I'm going to call you back." He said on the phone.

I felt my knees weak and sat on the bed. "How?" I asked again. "These pictures... Some of them are weeks old. Why would they hold on to them until now?"

"For the better story. The exclusive. Posting a picture of you two swimming or dancing together doesn't prove anything. But then everyone else starts looking too and you are being more careful. But this way, they have the picture of you kissing and then all the other pictures are used to create the story. To fit the narrative."

"We thought we were safe. We got careless." Neymar said.

"What are we going to do?" I asked.

"There's nothing we can do Liv!" Neymar snapped at me. "It's over."

"What's over?" I asked him. "Us?"

He scoffed at me. "Us?"

"Neymar..." David said warningly. "Liv let's go."

"Go? Go where?" I asked looking from one to the other. "Someone just say something!" When neither one of them spoke I got up and headed towards the door. David went ahead of me, checking the corridor. I looked at Neymar but he was looking out the window. "Fine." As the door closed behind us I heard a loud thud and I suspected that the laptop and all the contents of the desk where now scattered all over the floor.