Chapter 52

The drive back with Thiago was fun. He talked way more than he ever had with me before and he was funnier than he led on. Now that our mission was over we were a lot more relaxed.

"I do wonder what it is that David knows." I told Thiago.

"Me too. But he is so snappy about it, I really believe it's bad. And I have the game against Mexico to think about."

"He'll be at the top of his game. You all always are, despite what's going on."

"Things affect you, whether you want to or not. Despite what's at stake." Thiago said, his eyes focused on the road. "In that note, don't you dare break up with Neymar until the World Cup is over!"

I chuckled. "I don't plan to." I said, my mind already wondering what will happen when the World Cup ends. Because it will, because everything does. I took a deep breath and pushed it out of my mind. "We have to talk to David."

"After Mexico, please." Thiago said and it almost felt like he was slightly begging me. I wasn't trying to be a troublemaker but what if in trying to help David and Sarah I ended up hurting the team?

"Alright." I told Thiago. "After the game."

When we reached the compound the sun was setting. The halls were empty and dinner would start soon, so we headed towards the game room. Everyone was there.

I scanned the room for Neymar, feeling impatient. He was nowhere to be found. Scratch that, I thought, doing a double take.

"Hey you are back!" He said when he saw us. He got up and started walking towards us.

"And you are blonde?" I questioned.

"Yes! Do you like it?" He asked me. "Dani too."

I looked at Dani who waved from the couch. His hair was silver.

"So?" Neymar asked expectantly.

"I kind of do." I said. He shot me a surprised look. "Yeah, yeah I know. I'm surprised too. It suits you though."

"Morello is still here if you want Liv! How about some green highlights?" Dani asked and everyone laughed. "For Brazil?"

"I will pass for now. Win the Cup and then I'll dye it however you want!" I told him, realizing that I kept making bets. If they ended up winning I would have to do a few embarrassing things.

"You bet!"

"So how did it go with Bruna? I see you are still intact." Neymar turned back to me and Thiago.

"She's not that bad." I said and he gave me a quizzical look. "Let's go for a walk."

"Why do you guys always look like you are on a top secret mission?" Marcelo asked us.

"We kinda were." Thiago told him as the three of us left. Marcelo rolled his eyes at us.

We went back out, towards the fields and we told Neymar exactly what Bruna had told us. I left out the private conversation she and I had, since I didn't want to mention it in front of Thiago.

"Where is David now? He wasn't in the game room when we came."

"He's in his room. I went by but he didn't feel like getting out of bed."

"That's bad." Thiago said. "But tomorrow we have an open practice. Marinho will come. I think Regina too."

"Regina?" I asked.

"His mom." Neymar told me.

"That's good." I said. "Although I don't get why we open these practices to the press. Don't we want to hide our strategy? Shouldn't who is starting the game be a secret?" Neither of them said anything and it made me think they agreed.