Chapter 96

James.

My mind screamed.

As the stretcher approached us I felt the hands around me finally loosen. For a second I almost fell down, my feet couldn't hold me. I saw Scolari already giving instructions to those around him, the game was continuing. The show must go on.

I couldn't see him as the stretcher passed by us, he was surrounded by doctors. I only saw the soles of his shoes as they took him inside the locker room.

"Olivia go!" I heard a soft voice urge me and my feet finally moved and I ran after them.

What happened next was almost in slow motion. The situation was at least chaotic inside the locker room. I pushed people out of my way until I reached him. He was still in the stretcher as the doctors examined him, he was still crying in pain. His eyes were stormy and when they locked on mine my heart stopped. He was alright, right?

I ran to him, wrapping my hand around his and he clasped mine so hard it almost hurt.

"The ambulance is outside." Someone yelled. "They are waiting for you."

"What's the ETA to the hospital?"

"The roads are pretty cramped, they are trying to open the way. I don't know." The first voice answered.

"Maybe a helicopter?" I heard someone else say and recognized Dr. Runco's voice.

"Is he going to be okay?" I asked him.

"Liv?" He exclaimed, surprised to see me there. "I don't... It's too early to tell."

I turned around to look at Neymar but I couldn't know if he was following what was happening around him, his eyes were glazed.

"The painkiller is working! It's time to move him!" Someone yelled and two medics got inside with a trolley stretcher and carefully moved him to it, forcing him to let go of my hand.

My panic returned and I think Neymar realized that he wasn't holding my hand anymore because he tried to stand up.

"No, no Neymar!" Dr. Runco yelled. "If this is a spinal injury it's vital that you don't move!"

They started transporting him down the corridor, his hand still outstretched and I ran behind them, desperately trying to push the words 'spinal injury' out of my mind.

"I'm coming with you!" I said as they loaded the stretcher in the ambulance.

"Doctors only Liv!"

"He needs someone he knows to be with him!"

"He's medicated. He won't know whether you're there or not!" He said firmly and closed the ambulance door before I could object.

I looked around wondering how the hell I would get to the hospital, when I didn't even know which hospital they were taking him to.

"C'mon, you can ride with us." Someone said and I recognized someone from Dr. Runco' staff I didn't know by name.

There were three people in the car and when the driver started driving I was relieved to see the ambulance only a few cars ahead of us. "What is wrong with them? Why don't they move aside for the ambulance?"

"The street is crammed, there's nowhere to move aside to." A girl said.

"Dr. Runco said spinal injury. What does that mean?" I asked the guy that had offered me the ride.

"It could mean anything. I don't know..." He said reluctantly. "From a simple bruise to quadriplegia."

"Not death?"