Chapter 14

She was beautiful. She had long brown hair and a pretty face and she was talking to Neymar. I didn't want to approach them so I headed towards Peter and Alex, who were sitting on the opposite end of the table.

"Hello there." Peter said as I pulled up a chair and sat next to him.

"Hi." I said. I looked at Neymar and the girl. They seemed like they knew each other well. They were both laughing at something one of them had said. I sighed.

"We were starting to think that you and your friend avoided us." Peter said.

"What?" I asked before realizing he was referring to Marina. "We weren't. We aren't." I said.

"Does she know?" Peter said and the bitterness was evident in his voice. I realized that Peter thought the only reason Marina turned him down was because she wanted to date a footballer. I wanted to tell him that that wasn't true because it wasn't, at least not exactly true but I knew he wouldn't believe it anyway. Following his gaze I looked at Marina. She was taking to Bernard and Jo, she seemed like she was having a lot of fun.

"Peter don't be bitter." I said. We all realized that the sentence rhymed simultaneously.

We burst into laughter, so loud that everyone started starring. It was kind of a miserable laugh, but a laugh still. I saw Neymar and that girl looking towards us.

"What is so funny?" Hulk asked.

"She said..." Alex started saying but couldn't finish his sentence due to laughing so hard, "She said Peter don't be bitter."

Hulk gave us a fake disapproving look, before he started laughing. I suspected he laughed at us and not with us, but it didn't matter.

I stayed with Peter and Alex for the rest of the evening and it was the first time I spend that much time with them without Marina. As we got over the awkwardness of being acquaintances I started having a lot of fun with them. For one Peter and I had the same ironic sense of humor, while Alex was always gentler in his ways. But the two of them really complemented each other in the friends department.

I noticed people starting to stand up around us.

"We are leaving already?" Alex asked.

"We do have practice tomorrow."

Neymar hugged the brunette goodbye while she gave him a kiss on the cheek.

The ride back to the compound was quieter. I sat with Alex and we talked a little but soon silence fell on the bus. I had a window seat and looked outside. It was dark but there were a lot of stars so I could make out the details in the scenery. Alex leaned his head on my shoulder and looked outside the window too but soon he fell asleep.

I woke him up when we reached the compound. We all said our goodbyes and started walking towards our rooms.

I got in and got changed for bed quickly. Marina hadn't come in at all. I wondered if she and Peter had maybe made up but I doubted it since they hadn't talked at all in the dinner.

I was sure she had gotten on the bus and was back in the compound so I didn't worry. And since I was pretty tired I turned in.

~

Waking up the next morning I saw that Marina's bed was intact. I got dressed wearing the pink jersey since it would be our first open practice today. That meant that the press and families would be able to come and watch it.

When I went to breakfast I noticed that a lot of the families had already arrived and were eating breakfast with the players. I chatted with Oscar and his girlfriend for a little while before getting my breakfast and sitting with Peter and Alex.