Chapter 5

When I went back in my room I saw Marina and Peter were both still sleeping. Peter was drooling on my pillow. Great. Just great. I knew that the living room and restaurant would be full of people now, eating their lunch and just sitting around. Where was I supposed to go? I thought about the boys' room but then I remembered that Alex had locked the door in the morning and going back there to get that key wasn't an option. I decided to head outside. It was too sunny and hot that I hoped no one had the same idea as me.

Indeed, there wasn't another soul roaming the place. I headed back down towards the pond, I sat on the base of a tree in the shade, making sure no one could see me from the compound.

I wanted my peace and quiet for a while. We had the rest of the day off and tomorrow the players had to undergo some fitness and medical tests before the first practice.

I couldn't understand what the hell was Juninho's problem. He had that arrogant smirk on his face all the time, but then he looked at me a certain way... It confused me. Yesterday at the pool, the way he held my hands, it was almost as if he was about to kiss me. If I hadn't pulled away. And then the rest of the time it's like he is making fun of me. I wasn't entirely sure if I liked him or hated him. Mostly I was mad, because that is no way to treat people. Other people don't exist for your own amusement. And I wasn't going to be his inside joke! Who was he anyway? I wasn't even sure what it was that he was doing here, except appearing to be everywhere I was all the time! Didn't he have any responsibilities around here? What is it exactly that an errand boy does?

Hate him. I decided. That is what I feel. And I wouldn't waste anymore of my time with him.

"Hey Livvie." I heard. No, no, not that voice. How did he know I was there? And Livvie? Why did he call me Livvie?

Without answering I stood up and started walking away. He grabbed my hand and made me turn around to look at him. I avoided his face, focusing my gaze on the pond behind him.

"I asked you know." He told me. I didn't answer, so he continued: "About the pond. For you." His voice was soft. He let go of my hand. I was startled for a second but then I started walking away again. "Stay please." He said, so quietly I barely heard him. I froze. I hated him. Or I hated the other him. He was rude and inconsiderate. But he asked about the pond. So what? You want the people around you to treat you well all of the time, not only when they are in a good mood, or when they try to make it up to you. Yeah, but...

"What do you want Juninho? I am tired." I said and I knew that my voice sounded as if I was exhausted. I was. Not physically, but mentally.

He must have realized too. "Only to apologize. About before."

I turned around and looked at him for the first time. He seemed genuinely sorry. "Alright. Apology accepted." I whispered. He cracked a small smile, not like his stupid grin but a genuine smile. "So what did they tell you?" I asked trying to lighten the mood a little. "About the pond?"

His smile widened. "Really? We can swim?"

"I can do you one better." He said.

"What?" I asked approaching.

"We can walk!" he laughed. He took a few steps back and removed his shoes.

"What are you doing?" I asked rolling my eyes at him.

"Take your phone out! You're gonna wanna film this!" he exclaimed. "I CAN WALK ON WATER!" he yelled.

"You really are crazy!" I said.

"One..." he said getting ready. "Two... THREE!!!!" he yelled and started running towards the pond. One step in the water, two, three and he submerged!

I couldn't stop laughing! When his head appeared he was still grinning from ear to ear like a little kid. "Let me see!" he said and run back towards the shore to look at the video I shot. "Your turn now!" he said.

"No way." I said.

"C'mon!" he nudged me.

"No, no, no." I said again.

"Alright, together." He said. I looked at him for a moment, he looked at me expectantly.

"Okay."

I took my shoes off too and we stood side by side. He took my hand in his. "One... Two... THREE!" We started running as fast as we could. I think I slowed him down a little. I did one step, two.... And then I fell. When I came up, I saw he was a meter deeper than I was. "You were terrible!" he exclaimed.

I threw water at him. "My eyes!" he yelled and started swimming after me! And then it turned into a water war!

A few minutes later we went out on the shore and he sat below the same tree I was sitting before, exhausted.

"We should go change." I said. "But I am too tired to move."

He motioned me to sit next to him and I did. He put his head on my shoulder and closed his eyes. "No that won't do." He said a few seconds later and put his head on my legs trying to find a comfortable position. He closed his eyes again and so did I, laying my head on the tree trunk.

"It's so nice here." I said. We sat like that for a while, I wasn't sure if he was asleep or not. My clothes and hair started to dry and soon I started feeling sleepy too.

~*~

I opened my eyes, realizing the sun wasn't so bright anymore. I was sleeping next to Juninho on the grass, I didn't remember moving away from the tree trunk. He was still asleep.

"Juninho..." I whispered in his ear.

"Mmmm.."

"Wake up."

He opened his eyes. When he saw me he smiled widely and I couldn't help but smile too. He rose to a sitting position. "We slept quite a while." He said looking at his clock. I nodded.

"So..." I said awkwardly.

"So, you haven't been to Teresópolis yet, have you?"

"No..."

"Well, do you want to go with me tonight?" he asked me.

A lot of thoughts flooded my brain but I pushed them all away. "Sure." I said.

He stood up and gave me his hand. I hesitated for a moment remembering what he did the previous time. "I am not going to drop you." He winked at me. I took his hand and he helped me up. "So, in an hour, by the entrance?" he proposed.

I nodded. "See you then."