"As ready as i'll ever be"

Katie's POV:
After we reminded gracie of the home visit taking place in just an hour I watched the smile on her face fall and her body tense up through my car mirror.
"Hey Gracie you okay?" I ask yet no response was given to me
"Gracie?, Grace listen it's all gonna be just fine" i say as we pull up on our drive and i turn around to meet the young girls eye.
"W- What if you get in trouble because they've been looking for me and you're not authorised to have me yet?" Gracie stuttered.
"That's for us to worry about Gracie not you, now let's get you inside, showered and changed and then you can relax this isn't a test for you" Caitlin smiled as she got out the car and opened up Gracie's door.

Once we headed inside Gracie went up to her bedroom and took her shower whilst me and Caitlin did a quick tidy of the house.

"So let me run through this again they will do a home inspection, ask us some questions and then ask Gracie some questions and go from there?" I ask caitlin who nodded in agreement.

_____________
It was an hour later and Katie, Caitlin and Gracie were all sat at the kitchen table as nervous as eachother as the sound of the knock on the door bellowed through the walls.
Katie jumped up from her seat to grab the door whilst Gracie held on tightly to Caitlin.
"It's okay remember we've got you" caitlin whispered placing a kiss on Gracie's head as she joined Katie at the door.

The women walked in and introduced herself to the couple before greeting Gracie, they began with a house tour as Katie took the lead showing the woman around whilst caitlin trailed closely behind with Gracie gripping tightly onto her hand.

"And then this is Gracie's room here's her bed, drawers, bathroom and her wardrobe which we had a great shopping trip filling up almost broke the bank" katie joked though the care worker didn't crack a smile.

After the house tour Gracie stayed in her bedroom whilst Katie and Caitlin headed to the kitchen table to answer the questions.

"So as I understand you took Gracie in after she ran away from her previous care home" the woman said checking her files.
"That's correct" caitlin said

"And you are aware that with children that come from these homes there are procedures that you should of gone through to house her not just simply take her in" the women continued
"We understand that and sincerely apologise for the way this has been handled however when we met Gracie she was in such a state and scared stiff of the thought of rejoining one of your care homes, if we'd taken her back she would of just ran away again and then most likely ended up on the street so we took her in and she really is our missing piece, we are prepared to give her a warm, loving home and a family" katie said rather formally as caitlin slipped her hand into the Irish woman's.

"Right well you have a beautiful home, I do need to know though do you both or at least one of you have steady incomes that can support you both and Gracie?" The women asked seriously
"Yes we both are professional athletes so have a steady income coming in each month" caitlin added
"Ah right and I assume being athletes you have just schedules how do you plan to go about this with a child in your care?" She asked
"Yes well we plan to enroll her into a local school and when she's not attending the school she is very welcome at our training facilities" katie explained to which the women nodded noting down the answer.

"Great may I speak to Gracie?" The women asked with another serious face not offering any indication of how the review was going.
"Yes let me go get her" katie piped up stepping away from the table and up the stairs.

Gracie's POV:
I was sat on my bed burying myself into my phone in attempt to distract myself until katie came in sharing a sympathetic smile.
"You ready?" She whispered
"As really as I'll ever be" i whispered back carefully getting off my bed hugging Katie which took her by surprise slightly yet hugged me tighter back as we walked down the stairs.

As I sat down on the table katie and caitlin both get up, and squeeze my shoulder before heading into the next room.
"So Gracie, I need to you tell me honestly how have you found it whilst living here with Miss McCabe and Miss Foord?"
"I love it, since the moment I met them they've looked after me, made sure I was comfortable and for the first time in my life made me feel safe" i replied enthusiastically.
"That's good to hear and have you been fed well?, showering regularly, and all the other hygiene maintenance matters?" The women asked again not looking up from her notes
"Yes showering everyday, and eating really well they're athletes you see so they have really good meals and even though they aren't the best cooks they definitely try and the canteen at the training ground had good food as well as this cute little cafe down the street" i ramble on admiring this peaceful life I've lived for the past week.
"Ah I see and how would you feel about a permanent placement here?" The women asked

For a moment I paused, there's nothing more that I'd want than to live with Katie and Caitlin and start a life here yet doubts quickly intruded.

Do they want me here?
Do they want to take on the responsibility of a child?
A permanent placement?

"Miss McCabe and Miss Foord seem very keen to have you live with them but at the end of the day it's down to you in this special situation" the woman said not realising my pause.
Very keen? I thought to myself a smile forming across my face.
"I'd love to live with them" i beamed.
"Very well if you don't mind calling them back in we'll have a chat" the women said looking up from her paper.

"KATIE, CAITLIN COME IN!" I shout startling the very formal women.

"Wow well considering this situation and how it came about we would usually have to go under further investigations however i find this case of your particularly interesting and unique you have shown me that you can support a family and offer Miss Adams a safe home, a loving support system and a bright future, I can also see the love you have for Gracie in your voice when you talk about her same goes for Gracie about you both and I find that very special in the short time you've been together, so I am willing to pull my foot out and offer you guardianship of Gracie and we can fill the forms over the next few weeks of becoming her legal foster parents and go from there if that is what you want? And I will also ensure there will be no prosecutions for taking in Gracie when she was missing" the previously serious, cold women said in a now sincere, warm way with a genuine smile across her face.
I felt all the nerves in my stomach release as I heard those words coming out her mouth and tears pricking at the back of my eyes which fought back hard.
"Thankyou, thankyou so much you don't know how much this means" i stutter out before I'm whipped up into a hug with Katie and Caitlin, my new foster parents.

Caitlin's POV:
As the Care worker finished her speech, no words will ever describe that feeling i felt, i immediately locked eyes with Katie's who's were full of joy as pulled Gracie up into a group hug between the three of us.

We thanked the care worker and she left as I shut the door i turned back around with a smile plastered across my face.
Before I could say a word Gracie burst into immediate tears.
"Woah woah what's up?" Katie asked from her seat next to Gracie pulling her down onto her lap.
"No no i- i- Ive just never been so happy" she mustered out in-between sobs which caused us all to laugh as Katie rocked her back and forth on her lap.

Gracie's POV:
After I managed to pull myself together I stayed on Katie's lap nestling into her comfortably still in utter shock that this was my life.
"Do you know what this calls for?" Caitlin suggested breaking the silence
"What?" I asked
"A PARTEYYY" katie finished Caitlin's sentence,
My eyes widened with adrenaline,
"It's time to celebrateee girly" caitlin laughed pulling me off Katie's lap and twirling me around, I knew I was in for a heck of a night.

Writers note:
Hope you all are enjoying as usual please let me know anything you'd like to see! Have a great day xoxo