Chapter 01 - A Rejection of Reality

Zalan sat empty on the worn-out couch of his dimly lit apartment, his thoughts feeling so far away from him, yet consuming his every faculty. He stared at the ceiling fan lazily rotating above him with a dissociated focus. Tracking a single blade with his eyes, his mind was stuck in rote loops of repeating questions that permeated through his numb mind. Why was he such a pathetic son? Every revolution of the fan made him think the same things, trapped in the endless loop.

"Zalan! Open up!"

Slowly sinking back into reality, Zalan recognized the voice of his cousin, Asher. He barely registered the visitor, not knowing how long he had been there. The persistent knocking echoed through the apartment, and the distorted silhouette of his cousin pressed against the frosted glass window, his features obscured by the fading light. The outline of Asher's hands could easily be seen as his face went as close as it could to the window. Zalan hoped the dark home was enough to obscure him.

"I see you, Zalan! Open the door! Come on!" Asher rapped against the window.

Mechanically, almost without thinking, Zalan rolled himself off the couch. His phone slid off his stomach, thudding against the floor. He had been scrolling for hours before it ran out of batteries. Quickly, he stored it in his pocket.

Finding his way to the front door, Zalan opened it a crack. The light of the outside world caused Zalan to squint.

"Ash," Zalan acknowledged monotonously, looking him up and down. Asher had a tupperware of food in one hand, a bottle of pills in the other, and a series of worry lines on his face. He quickly evaluated Zalan, his eyes zipping with increasing intensity.

Zalan could only assume what his cousin was seeing. There was plenty to pick up from the deep bags under his red eyes. Or the wrinkly, grease-stained clothes, and matted, dirty hair. Asher sighed, closing his eyes and reopening them quickly.

"Zalan. Are you okay? No one's been able to call you in days," Asher asked, throwing the door open and allowing himself inside. Zalan shrugged and closed the door behind him, dragging his feet to catch up. Asher looked him over for another few seconds before Zalan realized he'd been asked a question.

"Not really in the mood to talk," Zalan said, tapping his pants pocket that held his phone. He deliberately placed it on Do Not Disturb, but was too dependent on the comfortable feeling in his pocket and couldn't just leave it in his room.

"Doesn't mean you can ignore everyone," Asher said pointedly, looking around the apartment.

The residence was shrouded in darkness, the setting sun casting long shadows in the rooms, none of which had any lights on. Asher kicked lightly at the small pile of pizza boxes at the foot of the kitchen counter and made a face before forcing a smile and looking up at Zalan. The floor was littered with crumbs from various chips as well as their bags haphazardly thrown around the home. Candy wrappers and popcorn kernels gave the white kitchen floor an extra splash of color. Asher began to pick up the smaller trash immediately as Zalan watched impassively.

"You drinking any water?" Asher asked.

"I guess," Zalan shrugged.

"That's not really an answer," Asher replied, frowning.

Zalan offered nothing more. Asher continued to pick up wrappers, biting his lip nervously.

"We're worried about you, man," Asher finally said, dumping a small pile of trash in the overflowing trash can.

"Hmm," Zalan said, his eyes and mind beginning to drift away from the conversation.

"I'm serious! We haven't seen you in days. Can't get you on the phone. Have you at least gone to visit her?" Asher asked.