Chapter 05 - A Woman of Wisdom

The modest room they were led inside of had a long wooden table covered on all sides by varying stacks of books. Bookshelves covered the back wall, books scattered in all directions, presumably because they were often rearranged or grabbed for snippets of information. There was a set of seats on one end of the table to hold about ten guests at a time and on the other side sat an old woman, sitting with her back straight and a bowl of soup in front of her. Her eyes were two different colors, one green and the other a light blue. They somehow both looked natural on her face, but seemed to glitter with extraordinary intelligence. She dipped a spoon in and brought the broth to her lips, sipping silently and seeming to enjoy every drop. She looked as though she hadn't even noticed Rep and Zalan enter the room.

Zalan looked over to Rep who was gazing politely at the woman with an aura of respect. Zalan cleared his throat and decided to be the first to speak.

"Madam Hikma?" Zalan asked, both as a way of announcing himself and to confirm they were in the right place.

Madam Hikma looked up from her soup and nodded. She daintily placed the spoon back into the bowl and gently pushed the soup away from her. Zalan noticed it was half full and had a sinking feeling in his stomach that she had been trying to eat this same meal all day. The broth lacked any steam coming off the top and looked like it could be cold. She looked totally at ease, despite his suspicions, and glanced attentively between Rep and Zalan.

"I have brought something as a token of gratitude for you seeing us," Rep took a step forward and placed it atop a small pile of growing coins on one end. Zalan blinked as he noticed it. When he walked in, everything just looked like books, including the pile of money. He wondered how much money had accrued in this one day between the gold, silver, and bronze coins in the pile. Zalan imagined it must have been a small fortune. She didn't even look at it.

"I am honored." Madam Hikma smiled at Rep with such sincerity that Zalan secretly wished he had received the kind word instead. "Please, sit. Excuse me one moment as there is a matter I must attend to momentarily," she said to the two young men, sounding genuinely apologetic.

"It's fine," Zalan said immediately, feeling embarrassed to have to impose on this woman.

"Thank you," Madam Hikma looked past them and called out for someone, "Sholou! Would you be a dear and come here?"

The little girl that led the two associates inside rushed to Madam Hikma's side as Rep and Zalan sat down across from her.

"Take these funds and purchase a few day's worth of meals for the Taldena Family. Little Radad was just born and they will be happy not to be inundated with menial things like preparing a meal when the little one will want to take so much of their time. And give them the rest of the money as a gift. From the people of Oriton. Try not to tell them it is from me," Madam Hikma instructed the girl.

"Of course, Madam," Sholou nodded, immediately going to dump the pile of coins in a bag she slung over her shoulder.

"And keep a gold coin for yourself," Madam Hikma decided.

"Thank you, Madam," Sholou said, smiling as she pocketed one coin and moved to the doorway. She stopped just shy of heading out. "Is there anything else I can do for you before I leave?"

"No, thank you, dear, you have been wonderful," Madam Hikma smiled.

Sholou smiled wider than she did when she received payment, then ran out the door.

"Thank you for your patience," Madam Hikma looked at Zalan and he instinctively looked away from her maternal affection.

"Thank you for seeing us," Rep said. "How are you feeling?"