Chapter 48 - Sorrow

Zalan watched in awe as the hulking monster collapsed, rumbling the chamber as it fell into its final resting place. They had killed an Elemental Dragon. They had somehow survived the ordeal. Zalan was almost certain the day would end with either he and his friends laying dead in here or him having to make the impossible decision to use the Homeseeker and run away.

What was even more baffling to him was the fact that he had come out unscathed. All the injuries that had been piling up as they made their way through the castle were healed by him gaining two Levels. The whole thing was almost a success.

Almost.

Zalan looked back to Gorb behind him, but found that he had already rushed across the room and was hovering over Fran's body. He placed a hand over her eyes, tears brimming on his own. Yelsa and Rep made their way over to the grieving brother. Rep placed a hand on Gorb's shoulder. Yelsa grabbed a cape from among the treasures and shrouded everything below Fran's neck in the brilliant fabric. Zalan made tiny steps in their direction, slow to join the three of them. He was very uncomfortable with death, never having confronted it like this before.

When Zalan was close enough, he heard Rep murmuring something. He listened intently, trying to make out the words.

"To God we belong, and to Him we will return," Rep continuously repeated.

Yelsa was nodding her head in agreement. Gorb was trying to hold back sobs, struggling not to be so loud. Small, pained noises kept escaping from his quivering mouth.

"W-We won the battle," Gorb stammered quietly to his sister, choking back tears. "We won, t-thanks to you. And it was such a g-glorious battle, I assure you."

Zalan noticed that even in death, Fran was smiling slightly. As damaged as her face was, it remained an epitome of encouragement. Rep, Yelsa, and Gorb all had tears rolling down their cheeks. Never before had Zalan believed that his lack of ability to cry was a detrimental aspect of his life, but now it felt out of place to not have any tears. This was the most appropriate time to cry, but his eyes felt nothing. They felt wrong. Like he was deeply broken.

A distant, quiet thudding came from the entrance to the chamber. It was constant, like something trying to break into the room with a significant amount of force. Zalan looked up at the door as the others continued to look over Fran. King Docrun was still trying to break into the room, and may have succeeded by now had it not been both barred by the scepter and frozen shut.

Zalan blinked, an idea forming in his mind as he thought of the Fleshless king.

"What if we bring her back? We can bring her back, right?" Zalan asked.

Rep looked at him slightly, and Yelsa and Gorb had gone silent.

"We can get the Resurrector from Docrun and bring her back," Zalan suggested, becoming excited over the prospect.

"Zalan," Rep said quietly.

"We're all healed and we could take him while we're all fresh, it would be on our terms," Zalan said.

"Zalan," Rep said with a hint of force.

"And I gained two Levels, right? I should be stronger. I bet my lightning will stop him in his tracks now," Zalan continued rambling.

"Enough," Gorb said quietly. He looked up at Zalan, his eyes red. "Zalan, Fran is dead."

"Yeah, but..." Zalan looked around at the others for support, but found none. "The Resurrector."

"Bringing Fran back as a Fleshless is no way to live. It is a shell of a life with no past faculties. And she would be beholden to whoever brought her back, not a free woman," Rep explained gently.