Chapter 07 - A Tireless Swordsmith

Zalan absorbed the town as they walked by, surprised by the amount of people on the streets at sundown. There were lanterns and torches on every corner, keeping the city alight and bustling as people grabbed last minute items or meals for home. People seemed to be in good spirits, which made Zalan wonder whether that was an intended look of the dream world or if there were autonomous parts to it like the townspeople. They passed many butchers and equipment shops and stopped in front of a building with a sword etched above the door. Inside there was a continuous song of metal against metal.

"Be sure to take your time and find a sword that feels right. The balance should make it feel like an extension of you more than just a simple weapon," Rep said before they entered.

"Take my time? Isn't it a little late?" Zalan pointed out.

"Yes, but not when someone does not get tired," Rep said, stepping forward and opening the door for them.

Zalan immediately felt the brisk air of the evening escape as he was enveloped by the warmth of the forge. A tall, large person sat in front of a pool of water they shielded their face from as they dipped a blazing hot sword within to cool off. Rep waited patiently while the swordsmith raised the sword and examined its continuity before looking up.

"Welcome! Do you have something on order?" The voice was a woman's and she approached the stone counter as she pulled the covering off her face.

She waved her hand behind her, and all the flames in the shop went dead to Zalan's surprise. She stood tall, almost two heads taller than Zalan and Rep and bore a bright smile and dark red cheeks accustomed to the heat of the forge. She looked like she could handle a sword, or perhaps single handedly take on a Flamestriker. She wore a necklace of a rock that glowed bright red.

"Nothing ordered, Junill. But we are looking for two swords," Rep said, placing what remained of his weapon on the counter sheepishly.

"I remember this blade. I made this special for you, Rep. What did you do, let a wagon ride over it?" Junill asked. Her face was scrunched, disappointed as she picked up the sword by the blade and inspected it.

"No..." Rep answered, embarrassed. "We got in a fight with a Flamestriker."

"You and him?" Junill asked, regarding Zalan with a nod.

"Yes," Rep answered.

"Did you win?" Junill continued.

Rep shrugged, not certain how to answer that.

"It's dead," Zalan thought would be a good answer.

"Well done!" she said, her face exchanging the accusatory wrinkles for a smile. "Glad to see my equipment helping. What are you, Level Six?" she asked Zalan.

Zalan shook his head and tapped his fingers to reveal his stats.

"Not even Level Two! Defeating a Flamestriker is certainly something to be proud of in that case. Though, by the looks of your Experience, I can see you did not do much in the battle." she said. "Are you the one in need of the second sword?"

"Yeah, I—"

"Try this one," Junill thrust a hilt in his direction with such force that Zalan gasped and stepped back. He picked it up with care and she frowned at him. "Have you never held a sword before?"

"I don't think so." Zalan shrugged.

"Hmmm." She snatched the sword from him by the blade to Zalan's surprise. Before he could say anything, she had another pointed at his chest, hilt-first. "How is this?"