Chapter 29 - Team of Two

"What... what do I do?" Zalan screamed, raising his sword at the creature.

The new Narg was taking in the scene. The injured Narg with Fran, Gorb, and Rep on one end of the field outside the gate, and Zalan in front of it. The Narg grunted in a deep croak and began raising its club. It didn't raise the weapon to full height before an arrow sprouted from within its nose and it squealed in surprise, looking out to get a view of Yelsa. In the moment that the frog-like monster was still distracted, Zalan threw a blast of lightning into its left eye and began running.

"You are running toward me! It has not spotted me yet!" Yelsa screamed urgently.

"I'm running away from the thing that's going to kill me! I don't care which direction!" Zalan replied equally urgently.

He heard a rumble from the fight with the first Narg happening on his right, but he couldn't risk taking a look while making distance. Then, the second Narg seemingly teleported in front of him, landing from a giant leap in between himself and Yelsa. The landing was earth shaking and Zalan landed face first into the ground, sliding a foot and ending up between the Narg's feet. The Narg raised a foot to stomp, when suddenly an arrow appeared at the base of its heel and it reeled back in pain. Zalan took the moment to raise his head and roll toward the planted foot. The Narg stomped down, which lodged the arrow deeper into its foot, causing it to screech with more pain.

Zalan was in front of the other foot, a grotesquely shaped piece of flesh, bumpy from various warts. Zalan's first instinct was to start running again, but he was terrified that the Narg would land on top of him the next time it jumped. He decided in that instant that perhaps Fran was right and injuring its feet would be enough to stop it from jumping. He got up to his knees, raised his sword and stabbed downward toward the center of the massive foot.

Only for his blade to glance off, leaving only a tiny mark instead of breaching the rough flesh.

Zalan stared in horror and realized that this was what Gorb had asked about earlier. What would happen if their attacks were useless? His Strength was too low and he couldn't do any damage with a simple sword stab. The plan was supposed to be to run, but they couldn't escape two Nargs at the same time, especially not if Gorb was too preoccupied to supply supporting speed.

The Narg above him regained its senses, and turned itself around to take on the archer that was causing him the most pain. In its about-face, the Narg unintentionally kicked Zalan aside with great force. Zalan coughed as he was tossed a foot midair and landed painfully on his side. He felt a stinging in the left side of his abdomen and wondered if he landed on some sort of sharp object, but didn't have time to check before Yelsa began screaming in fear. The Narg had closed the gap between them. Zalan threw a jolt of lightning at its arm, stupefying it for a second. He had prevented it from raising its club which should have given Yelsa just enough time to nock another arrow.

Instead, she continued screaming. She was frozen in fear.

Zalan threw another bolt of lightning at the Narg raising its club as he stumbled to his feet with his sword drawn. He ran forward as the Narg raised its club to pancake Yelsa. He saw that his lightning power had an effect on the creature, but only a little bit. If only he could use the monster's weapon against it the same way he used the Boznok's mace to stop the Boznok from attacking Rep. But the club was made of wood! He couldn't do anything about it.

His adrenaline-laden mind raced towards a solution. In his ensuing steps, he was suddenly struck with an idea. There was a chance to put his practice into action. He could do it!

Zalan screamed as he charged forward. The Narg croaked as it prepared to lower its club. Yelsa screamed and covered her face tightly.

Zalan couldn't sustain lightning running through the entire weapon, but he'd perfected holding the lightning on the tip of the sword for a few seconds. The second before he stabbed toward the Narg's calf, he imbued the tip of his blade with all the power he could, then put all his weight behind it.