Chapter 04 - Get in Line

"So, why isn't there a stat like Health on my abilities list?" Zalan asked, raising his wrist to get a better look at the lost skin scabbing over on the knuckles of his right hand.

"An interesting question. Do you have a health stat in your world?" Rep asked.

"No, we don't have any stats where I'm from," Zalan replied.

"So why are you expecting to see it here?" Rep asked, pointing to Zalan's wrist as the abilities faded away.

"I just guess I've just seen a more robust system in games I've played," Zalan admitted.

"Games?" Rep inquired.

"What about this 'Elemental' ability? What is that?"

"Ah, that I can answer for you," Rep said, tapping his index finger to his thumb and revealing his own stats. He was Level 03 and his Elemental stat read as "Fire." He then snapped his fingers and sprouted a tiny flame on his thumb. "You can approach an Elemental creature and accept their challenge in order to gain their power. Then you can emit whatever power it grants."

"You mean I can have a fire power?" Zalan asked, interested.

"Not just fire. There are many elemental powers to be found in the world. Fire, Wind, Water, Earth, Plant, Shadow, and more that are either rare or we are yet to discover."

"Can I get multiple powers?" Zalan asked.

"Well... you certainly can achieve multiple powers, but the challenges placed forth by the Elementals are normally fairly difficult and you might find yourself satisfied after having achieved just one."

"And as you called yourself my guide, what does that mean in this world?"

Rep took the next few steps in silence.

"Rep?" Zalan prodded.

"It is not a title in this realm. It is what I have decided to call myself," Rep answered quickly.

"Why?"

"Because I am willing to guide you back to your home."

"Well... As my guide, will you take me to get one of these powers if I ask you to?" Zalan asked.

Rep smiled, happy to see Zalan taking the world more seriously.

"It is difficult to search for Elementals, but I will do my best to find one for you to have your own power," Rep promised. Zalan smiled at the thought, then remembered this might all be some strange dream, as much as he felt he was awake. What would be the point of a power that would disappear when he woke up?

If only he could figure out how to wake up. He thought back to his plans to visit his mom and a wave of cold guilt washed over his heart. He ran a hand lightly through his hair.

"I'd actually rather just go home, to be honest," Zalan admitted.

"Very well, the first step requires you to go in there," Rep nodded his head to a building standing before them. Zalan looked up at the sign hanging above the door and saw no words, only an intricate insignia of a tornado emitting flames, a pillar of light, and lightning.

"Just in there?" Zalan asked, looking back at Rep. "You want me to go alone?"

"Oh. I suppose I could lead you in. I was going to follow after you, but leading is fine," Rep walked in step with Zalan and opened the door for him. Zalan took a hesitant step forward and looked over the bunks set up around the large room, a table seated in the center, and another room leading into a hall on the other side of the room. The wooden walls were bare and the only light was that which bled in through windows and the open door. Zalan looked around for anyone inside the place, then back to Rep.