Chapter 45 - Execution

Zalan struggled under Hatewing's claw, but the slightest movement sent pain spiraling through his body. His arm was almost certainly broken and he couldn't move an inch from under the claw.

He looked at his friends to see how they were doing. Rep was staring at him in horror, his mouth bloody and his arms lacking weapons. He held a small flame in his good hand to try and intimidate the monster, but it was clear it was more to comfort Rep than anything. The statue remained heavily on top of him, pinning him into place and leaving him at the mercy of the next attack from the dragon.

Still closest to the frozen exit, Yelsa was finally standing, limping heavily on one leg as the other had gained a nasty black streak running through it. She had a few golden arrows in hand, but she was trembling too much to nock any arrows. Tears flowed freely from her face as she popped her neck in consternation.

Gorb was passed out atop a pile of gold. The exertion of sending Zalan flying up in the air had been too much for him and he lost consciousness. It made Zalan feel so much worse. Even with Gorb putting everything he had to support him, Zalan still failed.

Fran's smile had disappeared, though she was instead filled with sheer determination. The joy of the challenge was gone and all that was left was focusing on everyone's survival.

"It seems its eyes require significant strength to break through," Fran said with a set jaw. "Any other ideas, Zalan? The idea to attack the eyes was well-thought."

Zalan coughed painfully in response. He spat up blood.

"It was worth asking," Fran said, as though he had responded intelligibly.

Hatewing stared her down as she limped forward, using the sword she carried as a crutch. Zalan knew its eyes were cycling its random attack, but he couldn't see its face. Fran stared up at it, not a hint of hesitation in her stance. Even the few Roaches that raced across her path didn't cause her to pause. One even stopped to bite her bad leg, but she somehow ignored it. Zalan, feeling otherwise useless, zapped the Roach with lightning with his outstretched hand, relieving her of the small pain.

"Well?" Fran boomed once she was right in front of the dragon. "Hit me with your claw!"

Fran threw a firebomb at the dragon's leg, the same one pinning Zalan to the floor. Zalan understood immediately that she was trying to coax it to remove its weight from Zalan's body. He wasn't even sure he'd be able to stand up if the claw came off of him. He felt utterly broken.

"Hit me! Show me the strength of an Elemental Dragon!" Fran boomed, beating her chest defiantly.

Zalan noticed that the largest mass of Roaches were on the dragon's hide and above them on the ceiling. They were scampering atop one another, trying to escape the massive exchange of Elemental abilities thrown about the room but not having the brain to find an exit. It made his already dire situation feel that much worse. Surrounded by that which he hated.

"Fire!" Rep said. Zalan was confused until he realized he must have been talking about Hatewing's eyes.

"Fire again?" Fran scoffed. "Show me everything you can do!"

Hatewing roared its ocean of flame right atop Fran. It was a tornado of heat enough to burn Zalan's face into a bright red even with the distance between him and the fire. He was certain Fran had perished under the burn. It had to be too much output for her to redirect and he couldn't hear her laughing. The flame continued for five agonizing seconds, then stopped.

Fran stood tall and with one arm threw a gigantic column of fire back at Hatewing's open maw. The flame was so large it consumed the entirety of Hatewing's head and hit some of its back and the ceiling behind it. Several Roaches fell to the floor and began skittering toward Zalan and his friends. But even with Fran's fire striking Hatewing's exposed mouth, it did no significant damage to the dragon.