Chapter 16 - Back To Oriton

"How much time do you think has passed in my homeworld?" Zalan asked Rep once they were underway. Zalan didn't like the idea of being in a coma so long as he was in this world. He wondered what Asher was thinking, seeing him sleep for so long after he visited.

"Not much time at all, I would venture. Seconds, maybe," Rep said, juggling the idea in his mind.

"You sound pretty sure," Zalan said.

"I was inspired with the information," Rep answered.

Zalan raised an eyebrow.

"The same inspiration that brought you to help me?" Zalan asked, slightly skeptical.

Rep's eyes got a faraway look as he turned away from Zalan abruptly.

"Indeed," Rep said.

"How much do you know about this source of 'inspiration?' What did you see?"

"I would rather not say," he said, wincing as he bit the inside of his lip lightly.

"I really wish you would," Zalan said.

"Perhaps later. Let us focus on the journey ahead," Rep answered.

Zalan sighed through his nose, incredibly frustrated that Rep seemed to not want to answer one of his most pertinent inquiries. He tried to get the question out of his mind with another question.

"What's the plan from here? How long will it take for us to get to the castle from Oriton?" Zalan asked.

"The Castle of Docrun is a few days' journey from Oriton. We will rest at the guild to heal ourselves, then I will need to make some money for us to purchase supplies needed for the way. Food, mostly, as there are five of us now. In the meantime, I hope you will take the time to train," Rep said.

Zalan threw a nervous look at Fran who was walking ahead of them, occasionally throwing a small fireball from her palm and manipulating its trajectory midair before it dissipated into nothing.

"I guess I could do with some more training," Zalan admitted anxiously.

"Splendid. Then, that is our plan," Rep said, not having read Zalan's hesitations.

Later on the journey back to Oriton as the travelers shifted in their order, Rep and Zalan found themselves next to Gorb and behind Fran and Yelsa, who were arguing about something inconsequential. Zalan tried to listen in, and it sounded something like they were talking about Yelsa's home and whether it existed. Rep leaned toward Gorb with a hint of apprehension to ask a question,

"Gorb, why is it that you are working for this Yelsa?"

Zalan still hadn't figured out why Rep had earned the right to call Gorbonifus by his nickname. Level Three couldn't have been that strong.

"She pays," Gorb replied, his face inscrutable to Zalan.

"But I feel this work is strange for you to take part in. Why are hired guild members under Level Ten guiding her to Elementals? This sounds like something for her own guild to take part in," Rep said.

"She has no guild," Gorb replied.

"But is she paying you enough to do this job? It is normally a high price to take someone to an Elemental," Rep asked.

"She pays very well," Gorb nodded.

"Then—and I do not mean any offense—but why did she hire the two of you rather than someone more experienced?" Rep continued.

"No one believed her when she discussed the reason as to why she had to find an Air Elemental, specifically," Gorb said, then lowered his voice. "She claims to be from Aetheria. She wishes to fly back home in the clouds."