Chapter 08 - Roaches

Zalan looked in wonder at the world beyond the walls, now that he had a time to appreciate it. The immediate area was sparsely populated by trees and bushes, mounds of sand in the distance, and perhaps even an oasis if he peered far enough. He couldn't see any animals in the immediate area, but there was plenty of evidence of things living just beyond the walls. Tiny prints and trails in all directions on the well-worn path they followed. Zalan suddenly looked back and realized that the Flamestriker's body had been cleared overnight. He began looking around at the mounds to see if there were any more Flamestrikers ready to begin hunting them.

"Hey, Rep," Zalan asked, wary of his surroundings as they made their way across the hot plains, "is Level Three a high Level?"

"Not at all, it is a rather low Level." Rep shook his head.

"Then was it easy to get an Elemental? You said it was a six month journey. You were able to survive outside the walls for a while," Zalan pointed out.

"Well, I did it much like you are," Rep explained.

"What do you mean?"

"I went with someone more experienced. Sir Kilile, back when he was still a part of the guild. He guided me and another and taught me much of what I know today. I learned much of what I do about Artifacts by asking him many questions about them. But, I certainly would have died if I was alone during my journey to see the Elemental. I was only Level Two at the time," Rep said.

"Oh, that makes a lot of sense," Zalan said.

"What do you mean?" Rep said, curious by Zalan's tone.

"Well..." Zalan tried to measure his words. "I don't exactly remember you having an easy time with the Flamestiker."

"That is hardly fair!" Rep said a little too quickly. "As if you had a much easier time!"

"Hey, I've never been in a fight before!" Zalan noted, gesturing to himself innocently. "I'm just saying you haven't exactly made the strongest impression."

"Yes, indeed, well, Flamestrikers are not exactly simple creatures to face. We were both out of our element."

"Sure, this definitely wasn't a case of you being weak," Zalan said sarcastically.

"I am serious," Rep insisted.

"I totally understa-AHHHH!" Zalan jumped backward. He frantically slapped his arm at his side to pull out his sword erratically.

"What? What?" Rep pulled his own sword out and ignited a flame in his other hand. "What is it, Zalan?"

"Those! Those things!" Zalan pointed further with his sword, taking a step back.

Rep turned and took a closer look. Not far from them, less than fifty feet away, a small swarm of large insectoid creatures were gathered above a small hole in the ground. They looked like giant cockroaches, the size of large dogs. Zalan shuddered at them as they crawled over one another, their tall antennae twitching wildly. They had small hairy legs and a lightly armored hide, as well as orange eyes and mandibles that were snapping frantically. The sickly, orange eyes seemed mindless, searching in all directions. To Zalan's relief, none of them seemed to take notice of Rep or Zalan.

"Excellent catch!" Rep said excitedly. "Those are Roaches!"

"Oh God," Zalan swallowed nauseously. "I hate cockroaches so much. These are so big! Burn them all!!"

"Not cockroaches. Roaches. And I will not burn them. This is an excellent opportunity to fight your first creature with your sword!" Rep said.

"I'm not touching those things!" Zalan said firmly.