Chapter 43 - Hatewing

"Run! Run!" Yelsa cried. "I will battle Docrun over taking on an Elemental Dragon! Just get me out of here!"

"What's an Elemental Dragon?" Zalan asked, backing away from the hulking creature as it embodied the entire chamber and spread its wings. Its black visage took over all the light entering through the hole in the ceiling, causing the room to feel like it had become overcast in seconds.

"Bad! It is very bad!" Rep said, backing away from it and heading to the door.

"But what is it?" Zalan asked more urgently.

"Normal dragons are known to breathe fire from their mouths, able to emit enough to engulf a building in moments," Gorb stated. "But Elemental Dragons have no set Element that they breathe. They cycle between Elements like lightning, fire, ice, water, and others. There is no guarantee."

"But if you watch its eyes, you will know which Element it will produce!" Fran said excitedly as she hopped her way forward, the only one going away from the entry door. Gorb placed a hand in her way and made a face.

"We are leaving, Fran. Do not force me to fight you. I am almost completely exhausted of all my energies," Gorb said.

"I would normally agree that we should leave, but I do not believe we can," Fran flicked her head back to the door.

Rep and Yelsa were pulling powerfully against the bent scepter stuck in the door, but couldn't pull it free. Yelsa was sweating and Rep was gnawing at his lip in their efforts.

"It will not budge!" Rep called desperately. "What do we do?"

"Guys!" Zalan called, his focus on Hatewing's eyes. "The eyes stopped on a color! They're blue! Like... like the sky! What does that mean?"

Hatewing was breathing in, the sound of it like a giant balloon sucking all the air out of the room. Its light-blue eyes looked upon them with rage and malice.

"Run away! Get behind something!" Rep screamed, scrambling toward the nearest tall pile of gold.

Zalan looked around and did the same, diving under a small pile of Artifacts and goblets near him. Something white flew overhead and crashed into the door, causing the entire chamber to tremble. Zalan found himself shivering. He twisted his neck to see the door was frozen solid with shards of ice sticking out, a few Roaches dead and frozen as well.

"Gorb and I are fine! Everyone alive?" Fran's voice came.

"I'm good!" Zalan called back.

"Alive!" Rep replied.

"Get me out of here!" Yelsa screamed.

Zalan saw that Roaches on the wall were skittering all over the place now, racing up and down walls in panic as the violence commenced. He still couldn't help but flinch when they got close, the immediate danger of the Elemental Dragon not enough to overtake his disgust toward the creatures. He zapped one that got too close, killing it before it could try to bite him in the frenzy of energy sweeping the room.

"Gorb, can we jump out the window and you catch us with your power before we hit the floor?" Rep asked.

"No. I am almost completely drained of energy. I will lose consciousness if I try to slow even one of us, much less all of us at once," Gorb said.

"What about the moat!" Yelsa said, feeling brilliant.

"There is not enough water!" Rep replied. "We saw it from the bridge! It was almost dry!"

"Maybe it's higher at other points in the moat!" Yelsa said, sounding desperate.

"A fall from this height would kill you even if you fall into water!" Zalan called back.