Chapter 11 - Blood and Lightning

Zalan swallowed painfully hard as Rep's eyes rapidly flit between Zalan and the Elemental watching Zalan closely from above. The three of them constantly looked at the flow of blood from Zalan's hand. Rep was biting the inside of his lip hard, his concern taking a physical toll on him. Rep was shifting in place madly, feeling like he should be doing something to help.

"Zalan, dress your wounds. Close them, please," Rep pleaded, holding out the bandages.

Zalan's eyes had gone docile, not quite following all the words of the request, but understanding the meaning nonetheless.

"I'm fine," Zalan whispered.

The Elemental watched keenly, its body unmoving as its robe flowed in place like a tumultuous storm cloud, the streaks of lightning in its clothing growing more energized as it watched Zalan. The light of the sun slowly dimmed as unnaturally fast clouds from the distance began rolling in, obscuring its rays. Zalan looked up to Rep, his face growing pale. He licked his lips before he spoke.

"Cold," Zalan whispered.

"You have lost too much blood! We should put a stop to it!" Rep said firmly, but looked back up at the Elemental looming over them, as if asking permission to halt the challenge.

The Elemental only watched.

"Don't stop, I'm just cold," Zalan insisted weakly.

"The sun is blocked by the clouds! What am I to do?" Rep was panicking.

"Fire," Zalan said.

"What? Oh, yes, right," Rep brought his hands together and created a flame in his palm, about the size of a baseball. He held it as close to Zalan as he felt was safe and Zalan was able to reply with a grateful half-smile.

"How much time remains?" Zalan asked the Elemental. "I have not been keeping track of time."

Both Rep and Zalan looked up at the Elemental expectantly.

The Elemental only watched.

"Zalan, please," Rep begged, the flame in his hand dancing with urgency. "Think this through! Please do not die over an Elemental challenge. There are other Elementals. End this."

Zalan slightly shook his head, as much as he was able. Rep bit the inside of his lip harder and added more energy into his flame, uncertain how badly Zalan was in need of warmth.

The seconds went by, the Elemental's interest never showing signs of dwindling. Zalan made a dozen different pained expressions as he struggled to remain conscious and Rep held the bandages in one hand and the flame in the other, desperate for the challenge to cease before Zalan had done irreparable damage. Or worse.

The world grew dark to Zalan, his lack of warmth exacerbated by the clouds rolling in and blocking out the entire sky. The world was overcast now, the bright yellowish brown sand now a dull gray. Zalan tried to adjust himself in his sitting position, but collapsed on his back, groaning. Rep dove to cover the wound and stop the challenge, but Zalan had enough strength to lightly bat Rep's hand away. The intent was painfully clear to Rep. Zalan would rather die than end the challenge.

"Zalan, I cannot let you die," Rep said urgently, the pain of biting his lip reaching a stinging peak.

"M'fine," Zalan slurred. He was delirious and Rep wasn't even certain that Zalan heard the words he spoke. Rep thought that there was no way Zalan could consciously call the challenge off anymore, he had lost too much blood. He was suffering without knowing why anymore.

Rep could only look up at the Elemental in rage.

"End the challenge! He has done enough!" Rep commanded.