Chapter 21 - Off to See the Dragon

The light packs felt strange to the weathered travelers. When the food was low, it usually meant they were nearing the end of the journey they had packed for, but now they were just exiting Oriton. They felt a mix of unease and liberation, except for Zalan who was blissfully unaware of the absence of weight in his pack. The guards questioned them about their lack of supplies when they reached the gates of Oriton, but Rep assured them they would be fine for the journey ahead of them.

The fresh air felt good to Zalan after the argument that was had inside the guild. It felt like he could breathe again after being cooped up with the others fighting for too long. He wanted to talk to Rep about it, but he didn't know what to say. He wasn't sure whether to be grateful for Rep's care or to try and get Rep to scale back his instinct to want to keep Zalan safe. Zalan decided that nothing was the best option, only because he didn't want to bring up an awkward conversation again. He found himself stumbling into them too often lately.

Eventually, Yelsa drifted away from Fran and Gorb and walked over to Zalan. For a few seconds, she simply followed his gait and Zalan wasn't sure if he was supposed to say something first or not. It looked like she had something to say, but was waiting to be told to say it. Zalan continued to walk, pretending not to notice Yelsa and trying to avoid saying something foolish.

"I am Level Three," Yelsa declared to him suddenly.

Zalan waited for her to continue, but evidently that was all she had to share.

"Oh... um, okay. Thanks for sharing. Why did you feel the need to tell me now, but not before?" Zalan asked.

"Fran said the best way to make up for my speaking of their Levels out of turn was to share my own. So, I have told you," Yelsa said. Fran threw them a knowing glance before going back to a conversation she was having with Gorb.

The way Yelsa concluded her last sentence made Zalan feel like there was nothing more that she wanted to say, but she still maintained speed with him. For a few seconds, he decided to remain silent, but he couldn't tell if the conversation had concluded or if he was stretching an awkward silence. He found the people of this dream world way too hard to read.

"So," Zalan desperately grasped for a topic from his mind. "How come all of you are at such a low Level? Seems to me that with enough work, you could be much higher by now."

"You sound like a guild master," Yelsa replied jokingly. The fact she wasn't scornful made Zalan relieved to know he didn't say something wrong this time. He continued with more confidence.

"I'm just saying that if you started training when you were a kid or a teenager, couldn't you all be at least Level Five by now?" Zalan asked.

"You really are committed to convince us you are not of this world?" Yelsa raised an eyebrow.

"Only because I am from another world," Zalan smiled.

"Hmph," Yelsa looked amused. "Those who are not yet of age cannot gain Levels. And once they do, it is rare for their guardians to want to take such young men and women out to bloodthirsty creatures until they've had a few years of experience with a sword," she explained.

"That makes sense," Zalan nodded.

Yelsa laughed a small chuckle.

"What?" Zalan asked, though he appreciated the levity.

"I find the information you ask for amusing," Yelsa said. "You ask things like 'why is it bright right now?' and I reply with 'the sun is out,' and suddenly you imply the world makes more sense to you. You are old enough to have simply observed these things for yourself. Were you taught nothing in your old land?"